Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Thermo fans activation temp?

P1otr

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz sv6
I have a vz sv6 and just would like to check if the thermo fans are working. It currently runs around 88-90 degrees around town and in traffic shoots up to 108 degree before the thermo fan kits in.

Questions:
Is the big fan a dual speed set up?
-Coolent temp to activate at stage one?
-coolent temp to activate at stage two ?

-when will this fan turn off once they are on?

-air con: which fan should be activated?

-what are the conditions to activated the smaller fan on the left?

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
Thermo fan 1 starts at 108 degrees, thermo fan 2 starts at 113 degrees. The thermo fan will automatically turn off when temp reaches 102 degrees.

P1otr

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz sv6
Thermo fan 1 starts at 108 degrees, thermo fan 2 starts at 113 degrees. The thermo fan will automatically turn off when temp reaches 102 degrees.

So does that mean that big fan is only a single speed fan? And by fan 2 you mean the smaller fan?

What about the ac, does that turn on only the larger fan?

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
By fan 2 I mean the one that usually doesn't come on when the first fan comes on. Couldn't tell you whether they are single speed fans or not

P1otr

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz sv6
By fan 2 I mean the one that usually doesn't come on when the first fan comes on. Couldn't tell you whether they are single speed fans or not

Thanks mate. I have read different thing on here that stage 1 should activate at 104 and then stage 2 at 108.

Can anyone confirm this or point me in the directions of a detailed vz manual?

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
I'm a mech and that's the temps I look at when flushing coolants on vz. Also because I used to own a vz as well, there's service manual stuff on one of these threads about coolant flushes which has more info but can't find it now

P1otr

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz sv6
Can anyone please confirm when the big fan kicks in on their VZ and if its dual speen?

I only just bought the car and not used to temp guage moving at all once the car warms up.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Cooling Fan Electronics

COOLING FAN HIGH SPEED

The fan high speed relay is activated through the PCM, by data from the "engine coolant temperature" (ECT) sensor. The high speed fan will turn "on" via the relay only if the low speed fan is "on" for 2 seconds and the conditions listed below are active.

- BCM Code DTC 92 is active.

- Temperature codes DTC 14, 15, 16, or 17 are active.

- Engine coolant temperature is over 104°C.

The air conditioner can cause the high speed fan to be activated. If the A/C refrigerant pressure is over 2600 kPa the A/C pressure sensor will via the PCM activate the high speed fan.
If the low speed fan was off when the high speed fan was activated the high speed fan will start 5 seconds after the low speed fan is activated. If both fans are on, the high speed fan will turn off when:

- Coolant temperature is less than 99°C.
- A/C docs not activate the fan. 1
- A/C does try to activate the fan however the A/C pressure is under 2300 kPa.

P1otr

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz sv6
Cooling Fan Electronics

COOLING FAN HIGH SPEED

The fan high speed relay is activated through the PCM, by data from the "engine coolant temperature" (ECT) sensor. The high speed fan will turn "on" via the relay only if the low speed fan is "on" for 2 seconds and the conditions listed below are active.

- BCM Code DTC 92 is active.

- Temperature codes DTC 14, 15, 16, or 17 are active.

- Engine coolant temperature is over 104°C.

The air conditioner can cause the high speed fan to be activated. If the A/C refrigerant pressure is over 2600 kPa the A/C pressure sensor will via the PCM activate the high speed fan.
If the low speed fan was off when the high speed fan was activated the high speed fan will start 5 seconds after the low speed fan is activated. If both fans are on, the high speed fan will turn off when:

- Coolant temperature is less than 99°C.
- A/C docs not activate the fan. 1
- A/C does try to activate the fan however the A/C pressure is under 2300 kPa.

Mine kicks in at 108 degrees, should I be worried?