Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Commodore V6 Thermo Fan High Speed or Low Speed Question

DexterVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Equipe S2
I am correct in thinking that programing the ECU is something I can't really do myself?
Given the car as the stock ECU there shouldn't really be any reason for it's settings to have changed, unless there is a fault with it right?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
It can be altered, you can do it yourself by spending maybe $150 or you can get a tune from someone who can modify the settings for you.

OldBomb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Mine kicks in when the needle hits just over half (low speed).
Get it fixed, whatever you do. The Ecotec is a tough engine, but head gaskets easily blow.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
There are 2 different temp sensors for the dash gauge, one obviously that makes it read wrong.

DexterVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Equipe S2
There are 2 different temp sensors for the dash gauge, one obviously that makes it read wrong.
Where is the second sensor for the dash gauge located?

The only two sensors to do with the cooling system i have replaced are the ones at the thermostat housing.

OldBomb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Yes, one at the front of the thermostat housing (lower intake manifold) & the other on right side, just under coil pack. Stupid one which just slides on gives you the dash reading. Other one goes to computer module.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2 wire sensor for the PCM and single wire sensor for the dash.

DexterVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Equipe S2
Ah, i must have miss understood when it was said that there was two sensors for the dash gauge. I was always under the understanding one did the dash and the other was for the ECU.

Today I swapped thermostat for an 82 degree one (just because while i was stuffing around, figured i would try it). I monitored the engine and the low speed fan is coming on at 105 degrees, which was good to know. It also took longer to get there than it did previously.

The last aspect i am interested in though, is the needle still reaches one bar before H, and that seems to be the 104 mark. I read other posts on here, for VS commodores that say it turns on at the halfway mark or 3/4 mark.

both temp sensors are both brand new, and the one for the dash is official GM part, so i do find it odd that it gets so high.

Attachments

• IMG_5021.jpg
    IMG_5021.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 63

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
That seems about right. On our old one with 82°C thermostat it sits on about the first or 1/4 mark. With stock thermostat I think it sits about 1/2 way.

I run 82°C thermostats and have the thermofan coming on at about 86° and 91°C, personally I see no reason to let the car get over 100°C.

If you have the AC on than whenever the road speed drops below the set point the low speed fan will come on which also keeps the coolant temps down as well.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
There are 2 gauge sensor part numbers, 1 reads higher (like yours) the other a 1/4 lower.

@VS_Pete knows the part numbers