Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

thick black rubber coating on the boot floor

chanoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
81 vc in dynasty gold, 80 vc sle 336 pack
Hi,
is anyone able to tell me what that thick black hard rubber type material is thats stuck on the boot floor of the VC's. looks like it was sprayed on its about 4 or 5 mm thick. its just that i've chipped sections of it off to get at some rust, so want to put some more back on to have a uniform finish again.

thanks

SS-REX

Reaction score
Members Ride
03-VY-SS-UTE
Is it just tub liner/sound deadner/undercoat many names same product I'm sure most parts stores sell it in tin form or spray.

chanoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Is it just tub liner/sound deadner/undercoat many names same product I'm sure most parts stores sell it in tin form or spray.

thanks i thought as much, but its thick stuff, just though it may have been some old time product not in use anymore.

SS-REX

Reaction score
Members Ride
03-VY-SS-UTE
thanks i thought as much, but its thick stuff, just though it may have been some old time product not in use anymore.
Yeah that older stuff is a bit gunky and thick but times have changed now also it's a bit easier to use these days.

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
I have repaired mine before with underbody putty, its basically a tar extract.

If its in the middle of a section that's easy you just pour it in let it go off it will take ages to harden up like the original. If its in an outer edge you need to form it up with masking tape then pour it in.

It needs a number of hot and cold cycles to get properly hard, after a couple of days you can spray it with some black acrylic which will help "seal" the surface to stop carpet etc sticking to it, if you put anything heavy on it it will distort.

You can also use Butyl rubber and pushing into repair sections, wipe it over with wax & grease remover to melt the surface and using a latex glove smooth it over, but again doesn't really go hard so would need a coat of acrylic to surface seal it.

Scott

chanoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
thanks fella's,

good stuff, i'd like to get it to match the old stuff as close as possible, just so it looks uniform. If its not uniform and nice, even though carpet will go over the top and you wont be able to see it, i will know its not right and that will **** me.

Being an anal mo fo i know.

the rattle trap looks a good product