Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Things that cark it in a 5 year old Commodore??

M100

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim wagon
Just wanted to ask, my alternator went the other day and I have a 2004 VY2 V6. I was a bit surprised, ive had to change them before in a car but not this young. I have read through the forum about Commodore known problems but are there things like this that tend to go at certain age/ks?

Obviously pending the car is well looked after. I have 120ks and full history and look after it.

Things like the water pump, power steering etc. Just interesting to see if there is a trend with things. My radiator was rooted at 80,000ks as an example.

dah_man_ben

Reaction score
Members Ride
Tesla Model 3 Performance, Mazda 6
Hi mate, I own a VY2 Berlina '03... its only done 60,000km so not too many problems there... I haven't had any major issues other than machining brakes, replacing link pin bushes... just little stuff - but it would be interesting to see whats to come :p

However, my dad used to own a VY series 1 Berlina, same year, and he did have a few things go on it, but not much, just minor stuff - his brother now owns it and the factory radiator sh*t itself only just the other week at 200,000k...

So I don't really know, I suppose its just a matter of luck? My last car was a VS Commo and was still going strong at 250,000k... obviously I had a few things stuffed on that over the couple of years I owned it - (air-con, radiator, shockers, fuel pump, transmission blew up at 200k) and I don't give my cars a huge thrashing or anything.
Then on the other hand, my dads current '07 VE has had heaps of stuff go on it and its barely done more km than my VY (possibly just the whole first model thing) so yeah there ya go mate.

Ben.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim Wagon And VX SS
I had a fuel pump fail at 114000km in my series one vy other than that no problems

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
I've seen a fuel pump fail at 14,000km before.

Granted it was on a VS commodore...last year....silly old bastard wanted warranty on it:rofl2:

MagiTEK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII S
Yeah. I''ve had to machine the rotors at 90 thou. But nothing else.

Hemiway

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim S1
Mine is a VY1 Acclaim with 160000 so far the stereo controls on the steering have gone, the front sway bar bushes, the arieal has fallen out, just put on 4 new tyres and about to do the brakes.

colgf

Reaction score
Members Ride
s/charged v6 HR Holden, s/charged v6 EH Holden,
I think once the mighty VY gets beyond 100000k then you can count on things wearing out , like tyres, brakes, battery, alternator (brushes), exhaust, drive belts & pulley bearings, power steering hoses , radiator hoses, Air Cond regas, etc etc , . After all they are a Machine, & all machines wear out...... Theres no escape unfortunately , its part of the overall "Cost of Motoring" . Always has been & always will be . Although compared to 50 years ago , todays Holden is streets ahead in longevity. Back in the 50's you were flat out getting an Engine to last more than 50.000 miles before it needed overhauling , rings , bearings etc.
Except for Fords, which still totally wear out after 12 months from new !!!!!!!!! Hey!!!!

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
Here is a site dedicated to commodore faults, Ive found it pretty spot on and usually if it is not listed then its not a normal fault and maybe only a problem with your car.
Faults - VY

cewing

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SWAGON
my engine mounts needed replacing at 90000kms
I volountarily had my springs and shocks replaced at 95000kms, the ride was pretty soggy, esp going around corners. Some of that can be contributed by my driving style.
Had an alternator go at 90000kms, repaced by dealer warranty.

All of those things are routine wear and tear items, depending on where u drive, engine mounts and shocks should be changed probably should be changed every 5 years anyways

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
Mine is a VY1 Acclaim with 160000 so far the stereo controls on the steering have gone, the front sway bar bushes, the arieal has fallen out, just put on 4 new tyres and about to do the brakes.

Is this the first time the brakes have needed doing? I assume by "do the brakes", you mean pads only? I got my pads checked at 100,000 and they still had fifty pecent, so I guess at 160,000 you mean the pads only.

How hard is it to change engine mounts yourself? As I'm probably close to needing that at 109,000?

Only probs I've had have been rear shockies, changed today, a clamp on power steering hose needed nipping up, volume controls and I have the power steering shudder which doesn't bother me.