Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Things that p*** you off/bug you/annoy you

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VT s2 Exec, VX Calais II L67
Well at least you didn't my a cheap rip off speedmaster copy. Edelbrock is still a reputable brand but I've noticed those have gone up in price too.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Well at least you didn't my a cheap rip off speedmaster copy. Edelbrock is still a reputable brand but I've noticed those have gone up in price too.
Tbh on reputation alone I'd prefer Edelbrock over Torque Power.

A company thats been around 100 odd years, that is used all over the world and synonomous with hot rodding/drag racing.

Or a small independent australian manufacturer that nobody outside of Aus has heard of that has a small following of die hards.

Pretty simple choice really :)

And yeah the Edelbrocks shoot up and down on the exchange rate because they are cast/manufacturered in the US. I bought mine in 2020 for $795 but I've seen them spike up as high as $1400 then come back down again.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Same with my food, I'll take 1kg of prawns from Taiwan for $15 over 100g of Australian prawns.
When it comes to seafood, no way will I touch anything that is not Australian, (or EnZed, which is a lucky dip of its original source.)
Barramundi imported from Vietnam is not Barramundi.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
When it comes to seafood, no way will I touch anything that is not Australian, (or EnZed, which is a lucky dip of its original source.)
Barramundi imported from Vietnam is not Barramundi.
As long as it doesn't make me sick, food is food :p

I once went to Rite Price when they were still open (they sell seconds and dented/damaged goods etc). I got 1kg of frozen fish....I don't know what kind of fish....it was just called "1KG FISH".

I didn't die :p

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
I didn't die :p
When I go to a posh restaurant, and order the high-priced seafood delicacies, I am probably eating some cheap imported stuff ......... but what I don't know won't hurt me.
I get a warm and fuzzy feeling when I buy Australian food, knowing that I am being a flag waving patriot :), sort of like what is seen in Florida lately, only gastronomically rather than politically.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I went to a local restaurant last week, they had 8 different types of fish available on the grill so I tried most of em :) didn't have any snapper though :( Lot of other meats on the various grills but no freshly roasted pork belly :(

Sadly, a lot of restaurants have gone down hill since covid with cost cutting.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If the add doesn't state the item brand or manufacture I always ask. If they don't say where or what it is exactly I don't buy. Simple really.
I have bought a few things off this bloke before and all were good quality. IAH I didn't think I would need to ask. I can send them back which is what I will probably do. It never occurred to me he would sell a junk brand such as Matchter. I went by tbe price thinking a more expensive set from an Australian seller would have been something reasonable. I assumed wrong.

JRNZER

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hyundai i30 N-Line
on a related topic of goods and services.

People who sh*t on others for not buying Australian. Trust me, I'd love to buy locally produced products every time.....but I'm poor and have expensive hobbies (I make above average money for my state, but my partner doesn't and cost of living etc.)

Doing the rebuild of my car my big ticket items have been Australian made (converter, throttle body etc) but the small stuff has all been ebay china (brackets, insulation, conduit, nutsert tool, battery terminal crimper, AN fittings and hoses for non pressurised things like PCV/catch can, AN wrenches are $20 each instead of $100).

I get a lot of **** for my Edelbrock intake manifold too, people are like "You should have bought Torque power and support Australian" personally I think the TP manifolds are ugly, and I prefer Edelbrock as a brand and the air gap feature of their manifolds.

9/10 times, if you give me an option of buying something I need for $20 from china or $100 for a locally handmade item I'll take $20. Not because I'm unaustralian but because that can be the difference between me smashing out jobs quickly or having to save for months on end to get it done.

Same with my food, I'll take 1kg of prawns from Taiwan for $15 over 100g of Australian prawns. Same with dairy products, I'm not going to boycott them when they get bought by the chinese etc.

I know I'm part of the problem not the solution, but when cost of living the way it is, and wages not rising....somethings got to give.

A few years ago one of my flatmates walked in the house and said he had some whitebait, Only thing is that none of us asked where he got it from. Turned out it was from Vietnam.
We all had the shits for 2 days

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride

Baldoldfart

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY
If the add doesn't state the item brand or manufacture I always ask. If they don't say where or what it is exactly I don't buy. Simple really.
I find it nearly impossible to find out if parts are genuine or not with anything on the net.