Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Things that p*** you off/bug you/annoy you

newjack

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz sv6, Vs s2 manual, Vy ss manual
When you have to get out of your own carport on an angle whilst going over the side curb because the bloke(non English speaking asian) who lives across the road parks over your drive way...
He drives a silver honda prelude with huge dents in the rear bumper and side door...

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
Tell me about it... My Samsung Phone is reflashed with CyanogenMOD. The thing is, if it goes the code way we are going to see a nasty battle. On my G8 the OnStar box is deleted, removed, and use a BlueStar made by Costartech that allows me to use the GM LAN and all the hardware.

Honestly, I see myself as a private person, just love to mind my own business. Some people sees that in a bad way. That is why I do not use FBook or Twatter or any of that nonsense. Brings no value to my life, more crap to be worry with.

The next time.... GM might come with a sealed bonnet because coolant is copyright protected.

I see cars are in the way they are because they use the Open Source code like Linux. You own the car and modified as you see it fit. But if cars are made by Apple you will have 1 model and bland looking and prohibited to make any changes.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
I wonder how that effects people who tune the ECU ? , if GM own the software , wouldn't that be a breach of copyright ?, and void any warranty ?

This is nothing new. I don't think you'll find any software for any purpose that you actually 'own'. You are only ever licensed to use it.

It's a total grey area but ultimately, you're not doing it for profit (unless you count fuel savings), you're not altering the base code by reverse engineering or circumvention, you're simply modifying the parameters (variables) which is generally a standard operation of any software and I doubt DCMA or any others would have a leg to stand on trying to prosecute.

That said GM would probably be within their rights to deny you warranty.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
This is nothing new. I don't think you'll find any software for any purpose that you actually 'own'. You are only ever licensed to use it.

It's a total grey area but ultimately, you're not doing it for profit (unless you count fuel savings), you're not altering the base code by reverse engineering or circumvention, you're simply modifying the parameters (variables) which is generally a standard operation of any software and I doubt DCMA or any others would have a leg to stand on trying to prosecute.

That said GM would probably be within their rights to deny you warranty.

That's going to be the danger , for those who do wish to tune the ECU , GM saying " yeah nah , no warranty for you " .

Last edited:

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
When you have to get out of your own carport on an angle whilst going over the side curb because the bloke(non English speaking asian) who lives across the road parks over your drive way...
He drives a silver honda prelude with huge dents in the rear bumper and side door...

This shits me.

My street is extremely narrow and the people across from me have a XR6T that lives on the street. Ive told them numerous times, If you park opposite to my driveway. I cant get in. I cant, due to the height of the gutter/side walls of the driveway ill destroy my car.

Come home the other night. Parked directly across the driveway on the road, so I parked my car in their driveway behind their other car.

Hour later, just hear them mashing on their horn. Oh whatever could be the problem?