Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Things that p*** you off/bug you/annoy you

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
It doesn't claim to have Melatonin in it. It claims to have Melatonin 6X in it. Which is a marketing term for "it's so diluted with water that there's no detectable Melatonin in it". Is it illegal? No.

6X is a dilution ratio of 10 to the power of -6. I.e. diluted to the point where the likelihood of a single Melatonin molecule being in the product is practically nil. The mathematical result of 10 to the power of -6 is 0.000001, which is rounded to 0.

They're marketing and selling a placebo.

Remember cordial concentrate? Mix 1 millilitre of concentrate with 1000 litres of water. Same same.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
It doesn't claim to have Melatonin in it. It claims to have Melatonin 6X in it. Which is a marketing term for "it's so diluted with water that there's no detectable Melatonin in it". Is it illegal? No.

6X is a dilution ratio of 10 to the power of -6. I.e. diluted to the point where the likelihood of a single Melatonin molecule being in the product is practically nil. The mathematical result of 10 to the power of -6 is 0.000001, which is rounded to 0.

They're marketing and selling a placebo.

Remember cordial concentrate? Mix 1 millilitre of concentrate with 1000 litres of water. Same same.

Yeah I saw that. And I rang the TGA to ask whether its worth filing a complaint. The lady informed me that they are allowed to sell a presciption on drug in Australia, due to the EXTREMELY low content of "Melatonin" in it. Though the tone in the ladies voice gave me an insight into what she thinks of homeopathic drugs.
She did say I could put a complaint into the TGA on the basis of misleading advertising if I wish. Due to the fact that the drug does not have a "qualtity" of melatonin in it, and because it is called Melatonin, which implies that it has Melatonin in it.

When I return the pills, I going to ask the manager that if he believes that 0.001ml/L is a suitable volume to be present, if he will stop selling bottled water, since the natural level of mercury and cyanide in water is higher than this.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I have just one question over this issue and I'm not trying to cause a stir.

Is it really worth all this fuss?

I can appreciate that the product has annoyed you with its claims and the failure of the chemist to refund would piss me off too, but I think I'd just take it up with the business principal and advise him of his legal obligations to refund, but no more than that.

Life's too complicated to get worked up over a packet of pills.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I took it as far as I did because they pissed me off multiple times. First by selling me $25 worth of sugar pills. Seconds by me driving an hour for them to refuse to refund it. Third by their head office by feeding me a bunch of bullshit. And then forth by me then spending another hour returning it again, and while they gave me my money back, they than fed me more bullshit.
The bullshit was that when I returned it, I spoke to the manager who gave me my money. Keeping in mind I had never raised my voice or been rude/disrespectful throughout any of this. I simply informed the manager that he should advise head office that having the words saying no refunds or exchange on orally consumed products, is against the law, and that they should simply put an asterix next to it, and put conditions apply underneath, otherwise they could get in trouble by the ACCC. He then spat back a load of bullshit saying that what they have is perfectly legal, and that the ACCC has already investigated them and said it was fine.

It was enough to annoy me to spend a couple of hours getting my money back and writing a letter to the TGA about the product. It wasn't much time spent in total.

Anyway I'm over it now. I expect my letter will just go straight into the bin and nothing more will come out of it. And I've learned my lesson to always read the bottle myself and not to trust a pharmacist.

Especially since I went to a Terry White chemist in the same Shopping Centre and they also said that the Homeopathic medicine is good and highly recommended. So either they are all stupid, or paid a good commission to push sugar pills.

Eevo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute
before you get angry, sleep on it, you'll feel better

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
before you get angry, sleep on it, you'll feel better

I didn't get angry, I don't do that. And I've done my piece and I haven't even thought about it since then.

I annoyed me because of the reasons posted in my previous response, and I did what I thought was right.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I took it as far as I did because they pissed me off multiple times. First by selling me $25 worth of sugar pills. Seconds by me driving an hour for them to refuse to refund it. Third by their head office by feeding me a bunch of bullshit. And then forth by me then spending another hour returning it again, and while they gave me my money back, they than fed me more bullshit.
The bullshit was that when I returned it, I spoke to the manager who gave me my money. Keeping in mind I had never raised my voice or been rude/disrespectful throughout any of this. I simply informed the manager that he should advise head office that having the words saying no refunds or exchange on orally consumed products, is against the law, and that they should simply put an asterix next to it, and put conditions apply underneath, otherwise they could get in trouble by the ACCC. He then spat back a load of bullshit saying that what they have is perfectly legal, and that the ACCC has already investigated them and said it was fine.

It was enough to annoy me to spend a couple of hours getting my money back and writing a letter to the TGA about the product. It wasn't much time spent in total.

Anyway I'm over it now. I expect my letter will just go straight into the bin and nothing more will come out of it. And I've learned my lesson to always read the bottle myself and not to trust a pharmacist.

Especially since I went to a Terry White chemist in the same Shopping Centre and they also said that the Homeopathic medicine is good and highly recommended. So either they are all stupid, or paid a good commission to push sugar pills.

Fair enough. I guess you won't be going back there in future?

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ

Did you, or anyone else watch "The Checkout" on ABC last night (4 Aug ). It was about chemists, pharmacists, homeopathic remedies, and your 'experiences' came to mind..

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
Good health start by watching what you eat. Store shelves are full of products filled with good tasting items without nutritional value.

Learned a bit of info with a Jewish coworker. Their foods has to be beside blessed by a Rabbi (for passover) follow extrict quality guidances; no high fructose corn syrup, salt without additives, milk without growing hormones etc... For example, cookies, instead of using High Fructose Corn Syrup (is not sugar but taste sweet, also Ethelene Glycol) is used Cane or Beet Sugar. Those producs has a Circled U (Orthodox Church approval), a letter K or P. I do not know if Oz has the same markings on their products and if it does, is somewhere on the label, very small but not small to be invisible. The markings are for what they call Kosher foods. I am not Jewish but their food is made well. Beside, the difference between a Jew and a Christian is the Jews only believe half of the bible, so Christians are half Jewish ;-)

I wonder if you guys have an US product called Fig Newtons, they are soft bars made with a fig filling. Look around the packaging and see if you can spot the Circled U and read the ingredients. Is made of basic ingredients that you can find in your kitchen.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I wonder if you guys have an US product called Fig Newtons, they are soft bars made with a fig filling. Look around the packaging and see if you can spot the Circled U and read the ingredients. Is made of basic ingredients that you can find in your kitchen.

There are biscuits that are similar but never seen them called that. Do you have Coon cheese in NA???