Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

thinking of buying new VE feedback would be appreciated

mel83

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series II SSV
im thinking of buying a new VE ssv of sv6 and would appreciate some feedback on them. id like to know what anyones thoughts on driving performance, handling, etc are. is the sidi & active fuel management technology a perk or a pitfall?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Hi , I can't comment on either of those specific models but my advice is try before you buy, test drive both and see of you can stand those thick pillars that can hide a B double. Other than that they are great cars but the boot space aint the best for camping trips and the like.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Depends if you want to keep your car standard or modify it. The AFM is pain in the backside if you want to modify it... Not an issue in a manual car obviously. Also, with sidi cars, there is no tune out for them yet (though it is in the works) so that may hinder some mods.

The a pillars really aren't a problem if you have a neck. Just take some getting used to.

seasmi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Sportwagon
The a pillars really aren't a problem if you have a neck. Just take some getting used to.[/QUOTE]

I haven't noticed any problem with the pillars nor do I have to move my neck (maybe I'm just blind) but I'm a bees D1ck off 6'6" and have the seat way back. I've adjusted the seat way forward though and found it does start to get in the way then. It would be interesting to see the views of others who sit with the seat back, obviously though Holden didn't make the car just for people my size.

SV6SidiUTE

Vroom?
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 SV6 Sidi Ute
Hi mate.

I've had sidi since December last year so here's my feedback"

Fuel Economy: Yippy. Tip top. Can be anywhere from 9 point something to 13 depending how you drive. Usually with slightly heavy foot suburban drriving and average speed of 40 something.... I get around 600 odd K's out of the tank. Freeway driving it's ppossible to get over 800.

Handling: Fantastic... once you lower it. I find that it sits too high from the factory so you will have to dump it a bit. I have KING SSL and they do a dream.

Power: Decent. Coming from a 4 cylinder honda prelude vtir, this car in comparisson has some serious kick. If you are going to do work though, get an ss, just read some of my posts regarding trying to find power mods for my car... nightmare.

Transmission: I have the auto and I find it perfectg, although some other users on here claim that it "hunts" too much. To them I say, get a corolla.

Interior: IMHO it LOOKS GOOD. On closer inspection and feel you will notice that the interior is made from cheap hard plastic. Which will eventually start to rattle and annoy the #### out of you. The front demister has issues. You will notice a lot of fogging happening there on startup. Even when the temperature difference outside and inside is minimal.
Pillars do not pose a problem, once again to those that wil complain about that I say, use your head. Literally... take a peek lol.

Exterior. One of the reasons why I chose Holden over Ford. It looks agressive, has a solid stance, and hell does it look great. Although you will notice that some things may not align perfectly. In my case one side of the bonnet nose sticks couple of mm's out.

Overall opinion on the sidi. well worth the money, solid car, little power gains to be made though. And with time annoying rattles pop up, but then agaoin... it is a commodore. And thanks to our ####ed up government policies we are overcharged for quality European imports such as audi S5... which is 60K USD while here in aus its $130 AUD... where is the logic in that?

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
They're good to drive and handling is great once lowered.
The auto in the V8 is a pain in the ass if you go that way. Mine flares quite badly but hopefully tuning it will stop that. I also found the pillars annoying at first but you get used to them.

seasmi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Sportwagon
im thinking of buying a new VE ssv of sv6 and would appreciate some feedback on them. id like to know what anyones thoughts on driving performance, handling, etc are. is the sidi & active fuel management technology a perk or a pitfall?

Not exactly answering your question about handling and performance, however, seeing as the topic is 'VE feedback' I'll detail my reasons for buying the Sportswagon for the benefit of those researching as I did to get as many opinions as possible.

Firstly I need a vehicle that is comfortable for my size (6'6") and also be comfortable for passengers as we live in the country and do minimal city type driving. I also wanted something that I could tow a caravan with and wasn't interested in another 4X4 as I have yet to find one where large occupants had the leg room both front and rear. My obsession with room or legroom in particular is due to having a lower back problems just for the record. I'm not a one eyed supporter of any brand but buy what I believe is best for my purpose and having checked out the Ford its my opinion the VE has more room and a better seating position.

I was initially keen on the Sidi SV6 which has more than enough get up and go for an old bugger like me, but what I'd read was indicating that for highway travel the 6ltr was at least as fuel efficient as both a VT 6 and VS6 we own although with memories of the fuel efficiency of 70s land 80s model V8s I'd either owned or driven, I still had doubts..

So the SS Sportswagon it was and I can truthfully say that I'm glad I did. Not because it may or may not be a little quicker over the quarter mile or to 100k's but for the room I need plus the effortless power and even fuel economy that was only the realm of 4 cylinders years ago. City driving I can't say cause its done little but at 7000 k's on the clock we headed off via Canberra, Gosford to the Sunshine Coast with two of us large people on board, two suitcases and other garbage in the back for an average of 9.4 l/100 on arrival up there. We made a trip on an almost perfect day back down to the Gold Coast (all Freeway via Toll) by which time it had clocked up just over 10000 k's and averaged 8.4 l/100. Unbelievable, and not being the type to believe these electronic readouts I re-checked it via the fuel pump. Coming home we had two extra bodies on board, three of which are over 6 feet with 4 suitcases 2 laptops, cameras and more garbage and averaged 9.7 l/100. This was via the Pacific Highway.

So for us and our requirements so far its brilliant although I'm yet to pick up the van to test its towing pros and cons. Another thing that led me to the 6 ltr being that the fuel efficiency towing would more than likely be little difference from the 6 to the 8 due to power to weight ratio. Something that I'll soon test.

Yes, there are cars that will go a little quicker to 100 k's or over the quarter, if thats what you're after, but I bet you can't fit 4 large people, 4 suitcases and other garbage in a WRX and still go as fast let alone tow a caravan. Also, after over 12000 k's there's been no gliches, rattles, or strange happenings to report although I hope I haven't mozzed myself there!!

I hope Holden and Ford don't stop making their large family cars cause I'll definately be buying another one.

123oriordan

Red Spark
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz executive wagon
well done

Mel83
Your article has just made me want to purchase a ss sportswagon and trade in the Vz wagon V6. Just need to convince the Wife.