Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Thinking of buying vz

aaronevolution

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
TURISMO VZ SS 6.0
Yeap that drive by the wire gives you a dangerous lag when pulling out in a hurry.

I don't get it? I've never had any lag problems in the 2 years I've owned my SS. In actual fact, the accelerator feel is so much better than my old VY it isn't funny. That thing was terrible. VZ all the way. It must be the way the Auto and the V6 is designed.

petern64

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss 6lt , 2017 Mustang GT , 2021 BT50 SP
I've never had an issue with lag on both my VZ's, my 04 VZ SV8 was fine on take off and my VZ 06 SS will spin the wheels with a slight tap of the gas peddle with track control on

holdenvtman1123

Improvise Adapt Overcome
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com.au
Members Ride
VZ Adventra LX6 2006 3.6L
the throttle cable is direct link where the electronic throttle control is not. mine lags, im used to it now tho.

neobristol

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Exec Wagon
I spoke to someone about the throttle lag, and its something to do with the actuator being out of calibration apparently this can happen if its disconnected without disconnecting the battery, he said there is an option within the tech 2 scan tool to calibrate it. I had a look on my tech 2 and sure enough there is.

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
I don't think tge Ls1 had much lag compared to the alloytecs

HoldenMan7

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 6 SPEED MANUAL
My LS1 had a little bit of lag though after i clean the TROTTLE BODY was good as gold......

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
I've never had an issue with lag on both my VZ's, my 04 VZ SV8 was fine on take off and my VZ 06 SS will spin the wheels with a slight tap of the gas peddle with track control on

Get some decent tyres.

One thing that hasnt been mentioned is that the VZ V6 is prone to sludging if not serviced on time. If the sludge is bad enough it will warrant a rebuild. Make sure the car comes with service history and was serviced on time or earlier throughout its life.

hingo1983

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
Had a '06 VZ Calais since 2008. Problems I have had (nothing major BTW)

- Rear parking sensors were working intermittently when I bought it. Fixed by replacing wiring harness under warranty back in 2008. Not a problem since.
- O2 sensor giving check powertrain warning. Fixed under warrany by replacing faulty sensor back in 2009. Not a problem since. Common issue and nothing to worry about.
- Oil pressure sensor giving check powertrain warning. Fixed by by replacing faulty sensor this month. Common issue and nothing to worry about.
- Ignition barrel hard to turn on hot weather. Fixed by injecting a small amount of graphite powder into the barrel. Been a problem since the VT apparently.

Really, none of the above were any great inconvenience or drama. I bought it with 77,000km and it now has around 180,000km and it still doesn't have a rattle. The VZ had most problems ironed out from earlier models and are probably one of if not the best commodores ever made. I drive it 60km to work and back every day. It has been from Canberra down to Tassie, all the way around the island and back (4000km) without a problem. I recently did a similar trip from Canberra to up past Bundaberg in Queensland and back (another 4000km trip) again with no problems. Great car.

rowe147

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ executive
id say buy a vy the ecotechs are easier to work with if you like doing services yourself
they dont feel laggy like the alloytech engines (fly by wire crap)
and the vy pretty much looks similar to the vz except for minor face lift due to it being a newer model

jayvt

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 vt exec series 2
Thankyou so much for all your comments. What i got was an 05 vz ute, 6 speed manual with 56000ks. Highway ks too. Silver. Full service history. Paid 16000 with rwc and 11months reg