Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Thinking of getting a PS5 over a PC/laptop?

Dodgy_Davo

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0
Hey guys,
I'm seriously thinking about getting a PS5 over my laptop as I just updated my laptop just recently a couple of months ago but the only problem is it's got such a bad video card and I would have to update the laptop from scratch and now on thinking of getting a PS5 over a PC and a laptop unfortunately I can't get a desktop computer at the place where I'm staying at the moment because I don't have enough room.

Is the PS5 better gaming overall compared to a PC/laptop as I have also noticed all the PC games are virtually just about non-existent now they are not at the any of the shops anymore you have to buy it online compared to the console games such as Xbox and PlayStation.

Also I have never played on a Playstation before in the past I'm a PC gamer and I always have been I have been playing games over the last couple of years but only over my mobile phone.

As I will be saving at some point in 2024 for a PlayStation but I need to find that the best price and where to get it from because I definitely know it's 800 AUD does anyone know where to find a decent price PlayStation 5 so I can hopefully save some money I'm so looking forward to playing proper games again on my PlayStation 5 at some point in 2024 and then I need to buy lots of games or get some new games for it also.

Thank you
it really depends on how much you value those Sony exclusives

Personally the Xbox Series X was the better choice for me primarily as a 4K media player that i can rent or buy tv/movies from seamlessly as well as play discs if needed

Secondary use is for the occasional game and the Forza series was a must have as the only car game that has Aussie Holden/HSV and Ford/FPV muscle cars in it

White beast 2023

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Commodore

Personally the Xbox Series X was the better choice for me primarily as a 4K media player that i can rent or buy tv/movies from seamlessly as well as play discs if needed

Secondary use is for the occasional game and the Forza series was a must have as the only car game that has Aussie Holden/HSV and Ford/FPV muscle cars in it
I was looking at X box x series aswell but I'll highly likely be getting ps5 through , it's going epic when I eventually get it in 2024 and I will be getting racing games aswell.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
For the money a PS5 is a great games console IMO.
You can’t beat a high spec PC for gaming though, no contest (also IMO).
But bang for buck a PS5 is a great choice.
^^ This. I gave up on having a gaming PC many years ago as its was just too expensive to keep upgrading the system to play games. At least with the console you buy it and your done for about a decade until the next generation console comes out.

I just upgraded from PS4 to PS5 a few months ago and the PS5 is a lot better. The new haptic feedback controller is a lot better to use. I just got Gran Turismo 7 a few days ago and it’s actually a lot more intuitive to play on the controller than it used to be as you get feedback through the triggers on when your brakes are locking up or your going to break traction.

The instant loading is good too with the SSD instead of an old school hard drive. I’d factor in getting an additional SSD chip to put in it as the 800gb the series 2 PS5 has (mine only has 600gb as its series 1) won’t get you very far if your playing top tier games, which normally run anywhere from 100-200gb each.

About the only downside from my perspective is that your gaming choice is somewhat restricted as smaller indie games aren’t on console. Not a huge problem if your only into A list games but I was always a fan of strategy type games and consoles aren’t big on those, mostly because people in general aren’t big on them these days either.

Last edited:

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
The digital version doesn’t have the blu ray drive, relies on downloading games from the PS Store. Hence you pay what Sony want to charge, but discs can be bought on eBay etc. much cheaper.
Well worth having the disc version. Gran Turismo 7 is about $120 on the online store, I just picked it up on special from Big W for $58. I normally don’t like buying disc games if I don’t have to as it’s more convenient to just buy from the store and not have to put the disc in every time you want to play it but I wasn’t paying $120 odd bucks for a game.

Last edited:

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride

I have a foot in both camps now as I have an older Xbox One, mostly because my son is on Xbox. Ive found out that it works quite well as a lot of the games that aren’t free on Playstation Plus are free on Game Pass.

White beast 2023

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Commodore
I finally got it ps5 With four games as well. And I've also pre ordered and fully paid for Dragon Ball. sparking zero

20240330_164615.jpg

It's going to take a while to get used to this system, since I'm coming from PC to a console, which I've never used in my life which I was going to do a couple of years ago, but I never got around to doing it. I've got used to fighting games such as fighter Z, but as for AFL 23 and FC24 is going to take a while to get used to.

Also, I got on special yesterday as it was $75 to $100 off the retail price Highly likely because of the ps5 pro coming up very soon.

MrBags

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z SERIES
I recently got the PS5 Slim and have been waiting for a game that really tickles my fancy to launch and get stuck into it.
Still waiting!!

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Another big suprise coming from the PS4 is that they moved away from the idea of the PS5 being a media centre and to just focus it as a games console only i.e u cant buy or download movies or TV shows from the PS Store on the Ps5
Not at all surprised :rolleyes:

I considered buying a PS4 when they were first released but Sony didn't port the old PS3 PlayTV (a digital FTA TV tuner and software) to the newer console. Being that I am not a big gamer i decided I wont upgrade so I stuck with the PS3 + PlayTV.

Later, Sony released the PS5 and again decided that FTA TV isn't worth their trouble as I couldn't be monetised via FTA. So again, because I use the console to watch movies and FTA TV with occasional gaming, I stayed put with the PS3. Needless to say Sony has only ever been interested in Sony and over the years they have gone as far as installing rootkits on PC's, removing features (PS3 otherOS), closing authentication servers for purchased movie downloads, etc.

So these days I don't really support Sony as they haven't supported me.

For me the locked down nature of consoles isn't attractive but sadly PC's are going the way of consoles*. The manufacturers/OS providers seem to place their desires above that of the owner of the PC. As is, I've had Win10 remove software, change settings, re-enable tracking, etc. Heck you can't even watch UHD BD's on modern PC''s any more...

And it's worse on android phones (= you are dependant on manufacturer/network provider for OS security updates but their interest is in again selling you another phone) so the lack of security updates = a means where the phone is insecure and thus unsafe to use despite the hardware is still 100% functional.

The future dosen't look bright in terms of user freedoms and sadly we are all buying into it as we continue to run on the upgrade treadmill...

Businesses theyse days are Cnuts really.... both hands in our pockets as they take our computing rights away from us... guess we'll all have to get used to walled gardens :oops:

* and MS was supposedly allowing the xbox to run/boot in a PC mode where you could run PC software on it... no idea if that idea actually is being actively supported by MS :rolleyes: