Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

thinking of lowering

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
hi peeps... im lowering my ve calais this weekend but still not sure what king springs to go for. Im leaving the standard shocks for the time being due to financial constraints but will eventually get to them. I have the factory 17's on the vehicle and want to leave them on to leave a stocky look that looks nice. I want the car to sit even and around the tyre. Im planning on putting sssl's on the fronts and ssl's on the back as ive read that when sssl's are put in the rear, with a passenger in the rear it will scrape alot. I want the car to look a nice height and level.

What recommendations would you guys give? Keep the ones i got or change to different king springs?

I'm running SSSL's in the rear and SSL's in the front with no "scraping". Do you mean rubbing of the tyre on the guard? That would depend on the offset and width of the rim. If you're leaving the factory rims on, you shouldn't have a problem. Plus, that spring combo will give you the "even", level look you're after.

Pickled

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
Each to their own really. Personally I think Commodores with excessively low springs look retarded, bogan and like something is broken.

This is true but the VE isn't the new VN....yet.

What if the car has air bags? Would you consider it bogan then? No because you wouldn't be able to tell!

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Also depends on your definition of "excessively low".

I don't think SSSL's are excessively low, my rear guards sit level with the top of the tyre.

pHatVE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS - Series 2 - Manual - 305kw
Do u have any pics of your ride to see what the ride height looks like?

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Here's a pic not long after I swapped the rear SSL's for SSSL's. The back has settled probably about 5mm since then.

SSVAPR2010040_noplates.jpg

See my ride thread, page 2 (link in signature) for more.

And yes, the shocks have been changed also.

pHatVE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS - Series 2 - Manual - 305kw
I'm running SSSL's in the rear and SSL's in the front with no "scraping". Do you mean rubbing of the tyre on the guard? That would depend on the offset and width of the rim. If you're leaving the factory rims on, you shouldn't have a problem. Plus, that spring combo will give you the "even", level look you're after.

sweet thanks for the info and your cars ride height is pretty awesome. Im getting the car lowered tm on the standard shocks for the time being as a mates doing it as a favour. Ive decided to go for sssl all round (King springs have recommended going sssl on the v6 because the engines are lighter and ssl on the rear but going for sssl to give it the even look). Will try and post up a pic once the lowering is all done.

PeterVESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
My SSV sits really low (bought it like that) and I have to admit that although I really like the way it looks, my freckle twitches when I see a certain type of bump in the road ahead that will make the 275 20's just clip the guards. Lower just looks better IMO.

Andrew-M

Reaction score
Members Ride
Soon VE SV6
im thinkin of puttin SSSL in the rear and SSL in the fronts of my ve, but how much clearance will i hav from the lowest point of the car (not the sil skirts) becasue i dont want to be defected lol and havta hav 100mm clearance from the lowest point