Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Thinking of upgrading from VR to VT - Good idea?

Ginny11

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec HBD
Just to let you all know not getting the VT now think it was a bit dodgy. Looking at a 2001 VX II Executive now for $4500, from what I have heard they are a good car and Holden fixed a lot of problems with the earlier commodores after mid-2000. And sorry to sound stupid but what exactly is ecotec?

Last edited:

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L
Not a silly question mate.

Ecotec is the name of the modified Buick engine in more recent Commodores. It is effectively a re-worked version of the old Buick, as explained in my above post, many components were changed for the newer engine. HEre's a pic.

114245d1302182946-1999-holden-vt-commodore-s-feb-2012-reg-engine.jpg

Ginny11

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec HBD
Thanks for that!!! Do you think the VX is a decent commodore? I just want a newer model that hopefully doesn't need something new fixed every week like my current VR!!! Only problem with the VX I am looking at is that it has 235000k's on it which I am a bit worried about.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Km's are only one part of a bigger picture. If it's serviced regularly then you shouldn't have a problem. VT's are a lot heavier then VS's and you can feel the weight difference. The ecotec is a decent motor for a 6.

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L
As Wraith said, KMs are simply one part of it. I would rather a car with 250,000 highway kms than a car that's done 150,000km in the city. My VT just clocked 466,000 - if you service them, they will go forever.

Are the VX's good? Yes, I think so. Lot of the early VT issues got worked out by then. The Ecotec has enough grunt to tow my Dad's boat with ease, and that's near on 1200kgs, if I remember they'll 0-100 in about 9secs-ish. They are a good motor mate. Find out about the history of this car, I'd rather one on the good side of 200,000km, but if it's history checks out, might be worth going for.

frogsta

Perth WA
Reaction score
Members Ride
Focus ST E30
VS does it in around 8 I think, but VT/VX are heavier with minor power gain over VS (Same engine)

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
It might sound obvious but whenever you are upgrading from an old commodore to a newer one almost always try to jump as many models in between as possible. There's not that much price difference between a VS and a VT, a VT and a VX, a VX and a VY .......... of course your budget will only go so far, but if an extra $500 will get you a car that is 2 years newer than onother one go for it. It will last you longer and give you less trouble, just be careful as always cos there are quite a few thrashed bashed and superglued back together jobs out there.

Ginny11

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec HBD
Thanks for all the advice guys, have moved on from the VX now (after mechanical check way too many things needed to be done on it, and simple stuff too which wouldn't have to be done by a mechanic, considering my '93 VR is in better mechanical shape and I get things fixed as soon as the come along, thought I would pass). Looking at a 2005 VZ now, I am going to assume that because it is a later model it will be even better (if the mechanics are all good and well maintained). The VZ's have an alloytech engine yeah? and are only 3.6l? Can anyone tell me where I will see the difference from my VR to the VZ? Just out of curiosity, and does anyone know any common problems with the VZ that I should look out for? Suppose I should move to the VZ forum!!! And does anyone know how much roughly it would cost to put a spoiler on a VZ? Less than $500?

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L
Ok, the VZ is better in quite literally every way. Although it does indeed weigh more and the engine is smaller by 0.2L, the engine in of itself produces 45kw more power and 25nm more torques.

Better suspension, particuly the rear, which in the VR was two logs strapped to the chassis. VZ's have traction control, airbags and so forth improving safety. The chassis was stiffened over the VR-VS models. VZ has front and rear ventilated discs. The fuel economy is better by at least 10% over the VR, despite the increase in power of some 30%. Most of the VZ faults were ironed out from the VT (as they have the same basis). Spolier, easily under $500, depending on painting and so forth. Or just buy one with a spolier...