Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Thinking of upgrading to a VE.

VT13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Berlina V6 Sedan
Well at 186cm it's not height that is the problem, it's the massive vision void from the pillars. When driving a VE I find myself needing to look out the side windows to enjoy adequate vision, particularly on roundabouts. Yeah yeah it's more airbags and crash protection but I prefer the vision. Just my experience but I expect many who are used to VY's or earlier may struggle to feel comfortable in current designs.

ThatsGuy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Best car I ever owned in terms or reliability, maintainability and overall costs was my 1986 KC Laser Ghia hatch. Purchased in 1990, retired it in 2012. Was still in impeccable daily driving condition but at 25 years of age parts were becoming a major problem, even for one of the biggest sellers of it's day. I do miss the old girl.

Everyone I know in the industry tells me VE's are very buggy and something to steer clear of. For me, I can't stand the the massive blind spots in the forward vision and the ridiculous height of the door sills and centre consoles, I just can't get comfortable in a VE. I reckon the Commodore's lost their personality after the VY.

Sorry, should've said that I don't think anyone well be keeping a hatchback from now on, for twenty years.

New golf's have so many issues they wouldn't last!

Agreed on the pillars, I'm tall and have to lean forward and look sideways in my VE to see, like a granny lol

V8_kiwi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS S2 5.7
Having owned a VR (V6 Toyota Lexcen), a VS Stateman (V8), VT wagon (V6) and now a VE SS (V8), I feel comfortable saying that the VE's blow the older models clear out of the water.

Probably most noticeable was how much higher quality the interiors are. Far less rattles, feels thicker and more solid, and yet all clips together with almost no screws!

Second most noticeable, the ride quality is infinitely better than even the later VT. Sits on the road like a brick, doesn't wander around the lane with super light steering, doesn't roll much through bends, etc. Could be because its an SS vs my previous models though. Not sure how much differently, say, the Omega handles.

Outside/looks are subjective, but aside from the VF's, I think the VE's are the best looking Commodore yet.

Power wise, the difference between the 270kw VE V8 and the ~170kw VS V8 is obviously going to be significant, to say the least. Dunno why there's a first gear included...

I'd say about the only thing that hasn't really improved by a decent amount is the stereo quality. Everything else I'm extremely pleased with on mine :)
I agree, I just traded my VT SS on a VE SSV and it is a revelation. It is well put together, smooth on all roads, quiet, 6 speed auto is awesome as is the L98 6 litre v8, more passive and active safety features, Bluetooth connectivity list goes on.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Maloo GXP
So much nicer than the VZ's in every way, interior quality make them a lot nicer to sit in.

As many have said though, massive blind spots though.

ShinWow

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV 6.2L Manual
Yeah, the A pillars are very thick. Often finding myself leaning forward/back to try and look around it.

The spoiler on the Series1 SS takes up a fair bit of the rear view as well, but it can also be a blessing in the sense that usually the headlights behind you are blocked by it :)