Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

This made me think... Read it slowly...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
At the end of the day, we have had to introduce lower speed limits around schools etc, because some people out there just cant recognise potentially lethal situations. Driving past a school where kids could do silly things or stupid parents could let them do silly things is just a reality of life, that possibly wont change unless we export half the population.

The law changing to 40km/h is there because some creatures would keep doing their 64km/h (that they know wouldnt get a ticket for ) no matter what the prevailing conditions are like.

Hell, Ill go past some schools doing 20km/h because there is just too many people swarming around the side of the road close to the roadway. I reckon Ive got a pretty good chance of avoiding anyone "jumping" out in front of the car(foot poised on brake) at that speed. Couldnt give a stuff about the tradey in the ute behind me flashing their lights telling me to go faster.

In my home town the town pool is around a blind corner, with cars parked down both sides of the road, right next to the school. It's a 50 zone (apart from school times), and I don't think I have ever gone down there in daylight at over 30. There is NO visability, and there are little kids everywhere.

Even on my driving test when I got my license (3.30 in the afternoon was a bad idea), there were groups of kids walking down both sides of the street, so I slowed to about 35-40 (60 zone), and the instructer said I probably don't need to be going so slow.
I said I would go at whatever speed I felt was safe, and only a few seconds later a kid ran across the road in front of me. He never said another word about it.

There are times when you can be following the law to the letter but still be unsafe.
USE SOME COMMONSENSE PEOPLE!!!

metalfossil

Reaction score
You think it will change me? I have seen things that would make you curl in your sleep. You think the accidents you have seen are gruesome? You haven't seen anything.

I accelerated from the lights at Ballarat and Gordon st. A large van/truck was coming in the other direction. I'd noticed three children standing on the other side of the road. As the truck drove past them obscuring my view one of them darted into the road. I slammed on my brakes and hit the kid just as he ran past the back of the truck into the path of my car. Luckily for me I wasn't speeding and luckily for him the brunt of the collision was taken by his huge backpack as he slid up onto my bonnet and then down onto the ground.

Minux are you attempting to tell us that these 'gruesome' things never affected you when you were first involved in them? Sir, if you say yes then I'm sure if you read the profile of a sociopath you'd fit it. I've talked to lots and lots of vets and not one of them weren't changed/affected by the experience of killing someone.

Stressball

Rolling on 4 again :D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Triton
He never said nothing in the military affected him. He just said he had seen some serious ****. As such, a practical mind was born able to see cause and correlation properly. Cause of the accident, without him breaking the speed limit, therefore must be that the kid ran onto the road.

Not his fault.

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
The kid might cause the accident, but it will always end better for everyone if you aren't speeding. When there is a kid lying in the middle of the road, you're first thought isn't going to be "but I wasn't speeding so it's ok"

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
At the end of the day, we have had to introduce lower speed limits around schools etc, because some people out there just cant recognise potentially lethal situations. Driving past a school where kids could do silly things or stupid parents could let them do silly things is just a reality of life, that possibly wont change unless we export half the population.

The law changing to 40km/h is there because some creatures would keep doing their 64km/h (that they know wouldnt get a ticket for ) no matter what the prevailing conditions are like.

Hell, Ill go past some schools doing 20km/h because there is just too many people swarming around the side of the road close to the roadway. I reckon Ive got a pretty good chance of avoiding anyone "jumping" out in front of the car(foot poised on brake) at that speed. Couldnt give a stuff about the tradey in the ute behind me flashing their lights telling me to go faster.

Has anyone noticed that now school zones are in, pedestrians seem to go silly in them now, theres people just wandering next to the traffic and people dragging there kids across the road infront of cars ect... Whereas before when it was normal speed zones, parents and kids kept well up on the foot paths and used the crossings alot more.

Im not suggesting that 40 zones are a bad idea, i will always do 40 or below in them as peole are just wandering evrywhere, but i think there needs to be more enforcment for j walking in school zones.

metalfossil

Reaction score
He never said nothing in the military affected him. He just said he had seen some serious ****. As such, a practical mind was born able to see cause and correlation properly. Cause of the accident, without him breaking the speed limit, therefore must be that the kid ran onto the road.

Not his fault.

Police Constable: 'I have some bad news for you. Your child was knocked over by a motorist and has died. However the good news is he/she wasn't speeding' Do you seriously think anyone will see cause and correlation when opening their door to that sort of news?

Last edited:

Stressball

Rolling on 4 again :D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Triton
You're looking at it from the perspective of the parent, not of Minux.

Your point is moot. Nobody argued that.

metalfossil

Reaction score
You're looking at it from the perspective of the parent, not of Minux.

Your point is moot. Nobody argued that.

I was not referencing anyone's point. All I was saying that the speeding view is a moot point. The dead kid and all the repurcussions that follow are what I was referring to.

Status
Not open for further replies.