Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

This made me think... Read it slowly...

Status
Not open for further replies.

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
I work at a primary school and most of the kids cross at the crossing but there are a few kids that dont cross there, is it the parent's fault for that? Or if they're chasing a ball that has gone onto the road is that the parents fault?

Well as minux will tell you, its someone's fault, but do the kids deserved to be cleaned up by a car doing 60,80,100, 200km/h?
Most would say not, driving on a public road brings with it the need to exercise caution for "things that can happen", exercise your right to go as fast as you feel comfortable on the race track and any thing that gets in your way deserves to be annihilated:whistling

VN_Luke

ƃuoɹʍ ʇsnɾ sı sıɥʇ
Reaction score
Members Ride
Get in the ute
speed is a contributing factor in all accidents - chances are if cars didn't move, there wouldn't be as many crashes :)

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
Parents and teachers of the school. We used to get it slammed into us that if we didnt use the allocated crossings to cross the roads, we would be punished by parents and schools. So i blame both and I think it is quite fair to blame both for lack of educating.

Why would any sane person allow a child to play with a ball near a road? It is hard enough to see children with warning, let alone have some poor motorist hit one that comes darting from behind a large vehicle that you cant see past.
Yes, but we can't really punish children for not crossing where they need to, yes they are still our responsiblity while wearing the uniform but we arn't allowed to. Bastardisation or some crap like that if the kid complains. And we can't always be out there to check to see who is crossing. There's 2 sides to our school and all the roads are packed with cars around the school zone hours.

No one would really allow a child to play with a ball near a road. But hey, front yards are near the road, many children play in the front yard. Or what about the children that live about a 10 minute walk away with no one home so they walk home and play with a ball themselves to keep them amused? I used to walk home all the time from my primary school.

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
I work at a primary school and most of the kids cross at the crossing but there are a few kids that dont cross there, is it the parent's fault for that? Or if they're chasing a ball that has gone onto the road is that the parents fault? To a child they dont comprehend cars and all that, they just see the ball they were playing with.

Main reason why there's now school zones in Victoria around every school.

Look Right.
Look Left.
Look Right.

If clear. Cross.

My school zone was in front of a 60km/h thoroughfare and we had the above drilled into us. Amazingly enough, no-one got hit by a car.

Adelaide is even more ridiculous with their 25km/h zones. Might as well get out and push the car, but then you might exceed the limit.

Kids need to be taught the above rather than be taught, if you're ever hit by a car, it's the drivers fault because they were speeding.

VN_Luke

ƃuoɹʍ ʇsnɾ sı sıɥʇ
Reaction score
Members Ride
Get in the ute
Kids need to be taught the above rather than be taught, if you're ever hit by a car, it's the drivers fault because they were speeding.

A friend and I hammered across the road on our pushbikes a while ago - I made it through, he got cleaned up by a (then brand new) EF Fairmont.

The lady in the Fairmont wasn't speeding or anything - albeit if she was paying a bit more attention, she probably could have swerved.... (however it was obviously our fault for crossing so close to cars, and we knew it!).

Point is; my mate (well, his parents) had to fork out for the damage to her bonnet, windscreen and roof

And the moral of the story/what this incident has taught me?

If you do 39 in a 40 zone and run over a kid - you get a free bumper/bonnet!
If you do 41 in a 40 zone and you run over a kid - you get charged :)

Adelaide's 25km/h zones mean there will likely be no damage to the car, or the kid.

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
Also it doesn't help when Cops goto high schools to tell people about horrifying collisions because of stupidity/drinking/speeding/cramming people in a car but then only being able to show not that graphical pictures.

The CFA/MFB definatly have the best videos of fataltiy collisions that if showed to brand new P platers would make them think twice before speeding or being stupid. For example someone showing off in a commodore in the wet decided he would go 10km/h over and hit a greasy spot which spun his car into a brick wall killing his mates. Another happened to a friend of mine, he wasn't the type to speed (would've been doing the speed or 5km/h under), was in a valley and hit black ice on the road slid off the road and died. Police turned around and said he was speeding. If he had've been shown more graphic videos his death would've been avoided.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Yes, but we can't really punish children for not crossing where they need to, yes they are still our responsiblity while wearing the uniform but we arn't allowed to. Bastardisation or some crap like that if the kid complains. And we can't always be out there to check to see who is crossing. There's 2 sides to our school and all the roads are packed with cars around the school zone hours.

Which brings me back to my argument of it is easier to blame something or someone else...itis sad that this is how times are now.

No one would really allow a child to play with a ball near a road. But hey, front yards are near the road, many children play in the front yard. Or what about the children that live about a 10 minute walk away with no one home so they walk home and play with a ball themselves to keep them amused? I used to walk home all the time from my primary school.

If children are old enough to walk home on their own, they should be old enough to understand look left, right, left, failure to understand that is mainly the parents fault, just as playing in the front yard. I know when we were younger, playing in a front yard was a no no unless one of the parentals was around for this exact reason. Again though, we can't blame the parents, that would be too logical and too easy, better to lay blame on some poor sucker who is obeying the speed limit only to have something run out in front of his moving vehicle.

VN_Luke

ƃuoɹʍ ʇsnɾ sı sıɥʇ
Reaction score
Members Ride
Get in the ute
Another happened to a friend of mine, he wasn't the type to speed (would've been doing the speed or 5km/h under), was in a valley and hit black ice on the road slid off the road and died. Police turned around and said he was speeding. If he had've been shown more graphic videos his death would've been avoided.

Sorry to hear about your mate - but how could his death have been avoided if he saw more graphic videos? - the black Ice was there whether he saw the videos or not?

At the end of the day - if you hit someone and you're speeding, you're well and truly f*cked :) - I choose to go nice and slow through populated areas, where there's parked cars, lots of people etc. I try to pay HEAPS of attention to where people/cars are, and hope that I can avoid a mishap if something unexpected were to happen. - And if I can't avoid a mishap - at least I wasn't speeding so am less likely to get in the sh*t :)

I suppose regardless of how safe and practical your speed is - if you're doing over the limit and have an accident (for whatever reason - even irrelevant to the speed that you were doing), you're gonna have problems :(

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
Think this is it here:

Who asked for this guy: Alan Buckingham, obviously someone who got a speeding ticket and got all worked up about it. His qualifications....sociology, nothing to do with the dynamics of motor vehicles. What a waste of space:
and this quote:

Since nine-tenths of Australian motorists admit to speeding at least some of the time,6 the majority of motorists risk being caught for safe driving.

somehow this has been intepreted as because everyone does it it must be safe practice?...........instead of going to the doctor next time, Ill ask 10 people on the street what they think is wrong and go with the majority opinion:bang::bang: never mind 9 out of 10 people (99 out of 100 would probably be closer) couldnt tell you how many metres their car needs to pull up from 60km/h, 65km/h etc.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
And the moral of the story/what this incident has taught me?

If you do 39 in a 40 zone and run over a kid - you get a free bumper/bonnet!
If you do 41 in a 40 zone and you run over a kid - you get charged :)

Adelaide's 25km/h zones mean there will likely be no damage to the car, or the kid.

Too true ^^^ top post

The 50 zone in back street of Adelaide are helping to - lot less people being hit. Now days 60 looks so fast in the back streets. Cant remember the proper numbers but reports last year was saying that reducing the speed limit by 10kph has saved many lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.