Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Thoughts on 07 VE Calais

Tamkat

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt commodore
Hi guys,

Just after some thoughts. I have a 07 VE Calais series 1. The timing chain has stretched and car off road. I have been quoted between $3500 and $5000 to fix. I can get a after market kit for around $800, just not sure if any other damage.
Is it worth fixing? Should I put an LS1 in it, or is it not worth it?
With limited funds I'm stuck as to what I should do! Maybe selling and start again???
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
It shouldn't cost that much. Is that a Holden quote? Take it to someone else.

Longman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6.0 Auto
Shop around for quotes and fix it. Search this forum, plenty of threads on it.

jr_

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II Sportwagon
How good a condition is the car in?
How many km's on the car? (100,000-ish?)
How much do like or want to keep the car?
Probably worth $7-12k? (Used Car Research - Used Car Prices - Compare Cars - RedBook.com.au)

The above might help put it in perspective, or just muddy the waters...

Timing chain replacement, with no other damage to fix, should be around $2,500, if you shop around.

Putting in an LS1 may be a hassle - and I mean from an insurance, registration and resale perspective.
Not even touching on the issue you may face if you were to do this.

If you're considering putting in an LS1, what about finding a used engine and doing a swap?
Like this - Holden Commodore Engine 3 6 VE LY7 SV6 Type V6 08 06 08 09 06 07 08 09 | eBay

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Ok so putting an LS1 in is a no go. The LS1 was not available in the VE. Unsure of Qld Regulations but in Vic you cant put an older model engine in a car without engineering.

So youd have to aim for L76 or L98.

Problem with that is, you may as well just sell the car and start a new if the car is of no sentimental value to you because the cost of the engine + labor would outweigh the cost of the car.

Timing Chain replacements. Shop around. That price sounds like either a Holden quote or a a workshop that hasnt done many of the jobs before. As far as extra damage goes, you shouldnt have damaged anything else, the timing just goes out a little and runs like a bucket of poop.

A workshop that has the timing chain tools and who has done the job before can whip this out in a few hours and the job isnt that bad. A workshop who hasnt, needs to buy the tools and muck about.

You should be looking somewhere in the vicinity of 2000-3000 to do the job and that will probably be your easiest and cheapest option..

Tamkat

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt commodore
Car itself is still in good condition. Done 120k. Still under finance! Sentimental to the missus. Had quotes from Holden and a few different mechanics. Most dont want to touch it. Some say engine swap, some say not worth it.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Alloytec engines arent worth a whole lot. See if you can find a newish wreck and transplant.

I used to supply these kits to mechanics all day everyday and most of them charged 2500 for the job total. In 2010, sure 3500++ as the job was newish to most mechanics and the tools had to be purchased which are expensive. 2014 now, every VE before 2009 has a ####ing timing chain.

I was going to say if you were in Vic ive got a few old customers I could direct you to and would do the job easily.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Car itself is still in good condition. Done 120k. Still under finance! Sentimental to the missus. Had quotes from Holden and a few different mechanics. Most dont want to touch it. Some say engine swap, some say not worth it.

Really a sign there is just too much work out there isn't it when someone says chuck an engine for this.

They'll probably take the old one do the repair and then sell it as a reco.

Thieves.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
if your paying more than 2k for a timing chain job your paying to much.

Are you a mechanic or do you run the books at a workshop?

Timing chain kit, including all the nuts and bolts is up around 800 dollar mark if you buy it for yourself via Mace - this kit does not include the cam gears. We used to sell them for around 1300 retail which was a Precision Enduro kit, so good quality with tensioners, guides and gears.

The job itself is around what, I think last time I read was 7-8 hours labor (Sabbath will be able to correct me he worked at Holden and Im sure has done one).

This is how mechanics work out their pricing.

Parts:

~800 for Timing Kit
~60 for Gaskets (IIRC you use Chemical Sealant for this engine which costs around 60 bucks a tube)
~130 for Fluids (Oil and Coolant)

Thats 1k on parts alone at COST. They mark that up because they are a business and they get discounts from suppliers so they can have a margin. So lets say they charge you 1400 total for parts - if you thats unfair, go to an Utratune where they have a OBSCENE markup on parts.

Labor:

~800 for 8 hours at 100 bucks an hour, fairly standard rate.

So far, in theory we are at 2200.

Then add in Misc:

Equipment costs - that timing chain removal tool aint cheap.
Oil disposal.
Diagnosis time labor costs.

Thats a fairly rough and a fairly cheap breakdown. If you buy the part by yourself you also risk the labor cost going up (but you probably will save some money) because thats where they recoup costs and put their wiggle room in quotes.