Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Thoughts on 07 VE Calais

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
No not a mechanic. Basing this off 9 quotes I got for my girlfriends car

And they were all sub 2,000?

Did they give you an itemised quote? Id be interested to see what the timing kit included because the chain by itself is cheap and a lot of people will just cheap out and do the chain. When the tensioners and guides and gears all SHOULD be replaced.

1_johnboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
11` VE Omega
not all sub 2000, varied from as low as $1650 up to 2500. They averaged to about $2100. I got the job done for just under 2100. I did make them work hard for the price...as I usually do on most things I purchase.

I found Holden dealers to be the cheapest, and independent workshops higher. Put this down to holden having done this job alot and getting it down to a pretty streamlined job. Quotes wernt itemisd, but enquired that chains/guides/tensioner and cam gears were all replaces. Most said yes, only thing some were unsure on were cam gears.

edit.

I did get some up around the 3500 - 4k mark but didnt consider them as I got the feeling they were plucking numbers out of thin air and didnt want the job anyway....as I found some flatout refused to do it.

Tamkat

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt commodore
Holden quoted me minimum $3500. Got the kit quoted at $730 - $1900. Found a mechanic yesterday who said whole job $2500 parts + labour. He has done quite a few now. Will have car back on road in 2 days.

Thanks for the feedback guys.