Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Throttle body 100% open HOW-TO

TriK

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT Berlina II sedan
im thinking the cable is too tight...however its opening about 90% this time so im not really that bothered...must not have been pushing the accelerator in the whole way before.

Attachments

• 2005_1227Image0002.JPG
    2005_1227Image0002.JPG
    453.4 KB · Views: 664
  • 2005_1227Image0003.JPG
    2005_1227Image0003.JPG
    448.7 KB · Views: 495
  • 2005_1227Image0006.JPG
    2005_1227Image0006.JPG
    455.3 KB · Views: 767

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
That's worse than mine was TriK the butterfly would be really disturbing your airflow, I'd have a go at fixing it : ) there's a thread or three around here that tells you how to adjust the kickdown cable, you might have to grind the stopper also because it's no where near fully open at the moment

TriK

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT Berlina II sedan
ahh yup i read the post.... ill look for a post about those kickdown cables mate...then ill look into buying a new exhaust set up....can i do extractors first and then the other stuff later? as i can see some vn v6 auto pacemaker extractors in the paper, new and never fitted 350 bucks....is that a good buy?

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
TriK the extractors sounds allright, you sure you don't have them allready?, since you have the sports exhaust on the car?.

I've got a new theory about why some VN's go slower than others, and it involves the throttle position sensor but I'll have to investigate this on my car first before I tell the story : )

Wesleyrpg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Supra Turbo
im a happy chappy!

while replacing the coolant sensor in the engine bay today, i thought id have a look at the throttle body to see how much it was opening at full acceleration.

Surprise, surprise, was only opening to about 70 - 80%, the little tab thingy wasn't the problem with mine, it was the accelerator cable was way too loose. It was REALLY easy to adjust....(just fiddled with the two nuts each side of the bracket)

will take the car out for a test drive tonight.

TriK

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT Berlina II sedan
hey greenfoam,

im not sure if i have extractors....i presume that those parts with the weird "white mud" on them are where the extractors would be as it looks like thats where the exhaust goes up to the engine...im presuming its just an ordinary part of a VN and not a performance part.

GTS1963

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy5.7 M6
venomous said:
nice man, but the question thats been daunting me for ever. whos making your turbo manifold? and is it for buick or ecotech ?

hi

have a look at some of the niffty things these VL turbo guys are doing you may get some idaes from them

its real good work maybe ask arund there about turbo headers to suit a vn V6

here are the links

http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/showthread.php?t=50987

http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/showthread.php?t=51634

http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/showthread.php?t=46459

there are more good threads in there

cya

sp001in

vyma100
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY ute
fazz1977 said:
I was told that if you bypass the coolant line running through the throttle body that it keeps the air entering the engine denser and cooler. Can anyone substantiate this? I run a CAI and K&N filter and this seems to make a lot of sense to me, as having hot coolant running around the throttle body would seem to me to cancel out many of the effects of the CAI.

In answer to this NO NO NO, only VL's had coolant being routed through the throttle body.

sp001in

vyma100
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY ute
i've redisgned the bell mouth will post pics in correct post, but I am putting in tomorrow, I will check the throttle body then too, I have to TB's here 1 a VN and 1 a VQ will compare and post differences. Am about to go searching for that kickdown cable adjustment post now