Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Throttle Body Upgrade

Keane

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive
Hey Fellas, I'm currently planning what mods I will undertake on my 6 and want to know if I mounted the 69mm Throttle Body, would I be restricting or loosing out on good performance gains by keep the original MAF. I will install a CAI with smooth Purocil Hoses for the intake. Would you bother with the MAF upgrade too? I know I would need a Tune but would prefer to wait till last with the tune.

vxcp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Equipe
If u install the CAI then no but if u just did the tb there would be little to no improvement seeming ur car is stock The tb works well on modded cars.

kyalkk

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s pac
yes throttle bodies seem to need a retune

MACE

Reaction score
Hi Keane,

" I'm currently planning what mods I will undertake on my 6 and want to know if I mounted the 69mm Throttle Body, would I be restricting or loosing out on good performance gains by keep the original MAF. "
No Not really. We recommend our other bolts on mods such as the manifold and plenum spacers before fitting the 69mm throttle body.

" I will install a CAI with smooth Purocil Hoses for the intake. Would you bother with the MAF upgrade too? I know I would need a Tune but would prefer to wait till last with the tune."
At this time we can supply tunes to suit all our bolt on mods except the large MAF. To fit the larger MAF you would need to get a full custom tune done.

Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any more questions.
Bart

frogsta

Perth WA
Reaction score
Members Ride
Focus ST E30
I just put mine in about a week ago (originally had bored out MAF, but removed it due to horrible idle) running stock MAF. Definitely better throttle response and meaner sound, probably not much power difference but it kicks a little better at 40km/h
The transmission doesn't know what's happening though, not a big deal the shift points are just moved a bit lower. (because car thinks when your throttle pedal is here, 'this much' air should be going through, etc)
Not necessary for a tune but I'd recommend it especially if you don't have a MACE memcal as of yet. Even their stock memcal is amazing.

MACE

Reaction score
I just put mine in about a week ago (originally had bored out MAF, but removed it due to horrible idle) running stock MAF. Definitely better throttle response and meaner sound, probably not much power difference but it kicks a little better at 40km/h
The transmission doesn't know what's happening though, not a big deal the shift points are just moved a bit lower. (because car thinks when your throttle pedal is here, 'this much' air should be going through, etc)
Not necessary for a tune but I'd recommend it especially if you don't have a MACE memcal as of yet. Even their stock memcal is amazing.
Once you get the memcal to suit you'll certainly be happier with the item :)

frogsta

Perth WA
Reaction score
Members Ride
Focus ST E30
Looking forward to it :D
I hate monthly pay...

Keane

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive
I think I'll stick with the stock MAF and install the 25mm Manifold Insulator,12mm Plenum Spacer, CAI with pursil hoses. Then later maybe the 69mm Throttle Body, High Ratio Rockers and PCM to suit. What do you guys think?