Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Throttle position sensor setting off "Check Engine" warning

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
My daughter's VE V6 Sportswagon has just developed this problem with the Check Engine/ESP disconnected/reduced power mode error messages appearing on the dash. It was diagnosed as the throttle position sensor by Scantool yesterday and is booked in for repair tomorrow.

I'm assuming the sensor is in the throttle pedal assembly. If this is the fault, and the accelerator pedal assembly is faulty, anybody got an idea of the the price of a new pedal assembly?

Also, can anybody advise whether this is a simple item to remove and replace and does it need to be coded to the ECU or any other component after replacement? In other words, is it something that can be replaced at home or does it need a properly equipped workshop to do?

carcollector

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice, VZ SS Crewman, ZB Calais V,VE CalaisV
I have had the same error codes, and fixed it myself at home by removing the air intake piping and fitting a new throttle body. The ECU doesn't need to be 'relearned' or reset. The TPS is built into the throttle body on the front of the engine. New genuine, they are around $450, from memory. That is for the throttle body as well as the throttle position sensors. There is also apparently an aftermarket one available at around $360. They are pretty easy to fit - they are held on with 4 10mm bolts, from memory. Just be careful with the wiring connector - it has a locking tab which needs to be fully depressed before you try to pull the connector out. Don't put ANY tension on the connector until the locking tab is fully depressed, or it will never come out. If you're not sure if it's properly released, push it all the way back in, depress the locking tab and try again. Dunno if the part numbers changed too much, but my car is a 2006 195kw 3.6 litre V6. Apparently Holden first had two different throttle bodies, one for the 175kw, and one for the 195 kw. These were both superceded by a new part, number 12615503.

Before you buy a new throttle body though, try removing the existing one and thoroughly cleaning any accumulated oil and grime from the inside of the throttle mouth with carby cleaner. Sometimes they clog up with oil residue and gum, and this can make the throttle butterfly stick just off idle. It didn't work for me, but you might be lucky.

Out of interest, how many km has the car done?

NVE_069

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wh Statesman LS1
Oh no don't tell me mine could be just that. There fitting a whole new computer today as they said thats causing the problem as it keeps trying to reset. 1250 thier stinging me. that's including something thy did yesterday that didnt work. But like I have said I really was stumped on what it was and having a young one need the car fixed.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I have had the same error codes, and fixed it myself at home by removing the air intake piping and fitting a new throttle body. The ECU doesn't need to be 'relearned' or reset. The TPS is built into the throttle body on the front of the engine. New genuine, they are around $450, from memory. That is for the throttle body as well as the throttle position sensors. There is also apparently an aftermarket one available at around $360. They are pretty easy to fit - they are held on with 4 10mm bolts, from memory. Just be careful with the wiring connector - it has a locking tab which needs to be fully depressed before you try to pull the connector out. Don't put ANY tension on the connector until the locking tab is fully depressed, or it will never come out. If you're not sure if it's properly released, push it all the way back in, depress the locking tab and try again. Dunno if the part numbers changed too much, but my car is a 2006 195kw 3.6 litre V6. Apparently Holden first had two different throttle bodies, one for the 175kw, and one for the 195 kw. These were both superceded by a new part, number 12615503.

Before you buy a new throttle body though, try removing the existing one and thoroughly cleaning any accumulated oil and grime from the inside of the throttle mouth with carby cleaner. Sometimes they clog up with oil residue and gum, and this can make the throttle butterfly stick just off idle. It didn't work for me, but you might be lucky.

Out of interest, how many km has the car done?

Around 115k. Good chance you are right but I didn't get a chance to check on it before the car was booked in for repair today. Rep given.

Last edited:

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Carcollector

Great call. The car was checked today and the problem was just as you described - filthy throttle body, well overdue for a good clean out. Total cost $50. Many thanks and sorry I can't give you more rep.

mgunning

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
OMG 4 weeks later and thank you i thought i was going nuts my car is doing the same thing the error has come up also and feels like it's surging while driving . finally the machanic is looking at the throttle body as all the other computrr checks come back all ok just have to wait for the price to rplace this now :)

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
You'll find that there are several different throttle bodies over the production run of VE which was 7 years. I bought my new "Genuine" unit from Hamilton Holden in Adelaide for $229.00 + GST.

Due to the many versions you must give your VIN number so the correct one can be identified and thus correctly supplied for your Aloytech V6.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
You'll find that there are several different throttle bodies over the production run of VE which was 7 years. I bought my new "Genuine" unit from Hamilton Holden in Adelaide for $229.00 + GST.

Due to the many versions you must give your VIN number so the correct one can be identified and thus correctly supplied for your Aloytech V6.

Just at a guess, after near 6 years I reckon they will have had it fixed by now. Matter of fact, by the post above - he did!

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Updated info doesn't hurt for future searchers though....coz we would just hate someone opening a new thread to ask the same question.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON

Should always have VIN number ready.