Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Thrown a piston?

william77ize

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sv6 holden commodore
So I took my holden vz into the mechanic today because it was heavily shaking, they checked it out with the computer and told me I might've thrown a piston (whatever that means) They told me they have an old ve engine they can get the piston out of and try to fit in. Will this work and would you know how much it's going to cost to replace? Any information is great in these uncertain times, Work has put me off and am now only getting the job seeker allowance. Thanks again guys

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
id prob just find a good engine and just swap it over much easier then taring an engine apart then they might even find more issues inside and need to do engine anyway

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
they checked it out with the computer and told me I might've thrown a piston (whatever that means)

If it has thrown a piston, you should be able to see it sticking out the side of the block. Their diagnosis seems to be as dodgy as next weeks lottery numbers by a clairvoyant.
IF, if it has done something drastic, whatever it is, it is not as simple as just putting in a second hand piston. There is the labour factor, and what else is damaged after 'throwing a piston' ? Something as minor as a broken ring will score the bore ....... honing or rebore needed.
Find a mechanic that knows what he is on about.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Take it to another mechanic quickly. They just want to sell you a dodgy engine. I'm a mechanic and have had to repair cars where this has happened.
It was a VE the last one and the mechanic fitted a engine from his yard it came to us loosing oil pressure. We fitted a second hand engine from ACM with warranty.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
What does "thrown a piston" mean?? I've never heard of it.
As for taking a piston from a VE and transplanting it into a VZ... the VE, how are the two engines similar (VZ = Alloytec; VE = SIDI DI)?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
What does "thrown a piston" mean?? I've never heard of it.
As for taking a piston from a VE and transplanting it into a VZ... the VE, how are the two engines similar (VZ = Alloytec; VE = SIDI DI)?

Thrown piston = the piston leaving the conrod. Although to be honest OP, if this was the case you'd notice worse problems than a shaking engine, doubt you'd be able to drive. Should go for a second opinion.
First few years of VE 6s were regular Alloytecs, not the SIDI variants.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
What everyone has said, plus, if it is shaking it could be missing(not firing correctly) due to a coil/plug/lead/injector etc etc

Put up your location, not just Victoria, and see if someone is close who can at least have a look/scan for you or as suggested get a second opinion but don't, whatever you do, tell them what the first mechanic said.

Even better go to Superthief for a scan(if it is free) or spend the money, about $100, and join RACV, then call them to look at it.
And don't tell RACV what the mechanic said either.

Last edited:

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
if it has thrown a piston it would not start and run, engine gone

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
If true, your car would be running rougher than a washing machine with a bag of cement in it.

They saw you coming, that’s for sure.

Some good advice so far. Every post.