Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

tick..tick..tick..tick..tick..

vsv6dude

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs v6 wagon
Try Shell Helix Ultra 5w-40 next oil change.

vsv6dude

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs v6 wagon
I reckon he's sorted it out 4 years later.

PCV is supposed to rattle too.

Good point should have checked the date anyway for those surfing here the Shell Helix Ultra 5w-40 got rid of ticking after the oil change.

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Good point should have checked the date anyway for those surfing here the Shell Helix Ultra 5w-40 got rid of ticking after the oil change.
yeah but your mains and/or bigends will go cluck clunk when first started in the morning :) as a general rule as your engine ks go up so should the viscosity of your oil...sure the top end will clatter a bit on cold mornings, just warm the car up until the crescendo of metal on metal quiets down... replacing worn lifters is so much easier and cheaper than rebuilding the bottom end

vsv6dude

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs v6 wagon
yeah but your mains and/or bigends will go cluck clunk when first started in the morning :) as a general rule as your engine ks go up so should the viscosity of your oil...sure the top end will clatter a bit on cold mornings, just warm the car up until the crescendo of metal on metal quiets down... replacing worn lifters is so much easier and cheaper than rebuilding the bottom end

Are you sure this is the case with every tick ?

I leave it to my mechanic to check advise and he is happy with the progress.

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Not sure I understand your question....regardless of ticks and these old things tick rumble and rattle like my missus on a cold morning :) ...your 5w-40w oil when cold is going to drain away from the components its suppose to be protecting...when cold its going to have the viscosity of the stuff you cook your chips in :)

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
Ticking Lifters.
1. Desludge the system. Use a wynns or similair oil desludge product, warm your engine up, dump it in and go for a 15minute drive.
2. Drain the hot dirty oil out and replace.Refill with Penrite HPR 50 5W-50 fully synthetic.

If that doesn't fix it, replace the lifters.

Use Crow LS7's or similair. MACE can supply em.