Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tick Tick Tick

VT_WA

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VT ecotec
Have a rather loud ticking coming from my engine bay? Don’t seem to be able to notice it in the cabin but when you go around the back of the car it sounds like its coming through the exhaust?? Had a listen in the engine bay and sounds like its coming for below the injectors? Iv had my injectors cleaned not long ago so it shouldn’t be related to that. Any ideas?

Last edited:

pill

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
ticking is normally a lifter sound, if it's coming from the top side of the engine. Take the cover off the top off the engine and see if you can isolate the noise to a component, if it sounds like it's coming from the inside it's probably the lifters, otherwise it'll be wherever the noise is coming from. Adding 'lifter free' to the oil (it's a $12 additive, get from repco or whatever) normally fixes lifter noise, unless they need replacing.

tunno

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx exutive s2 wagon
how much are lifters cause i think mine are gone i added the addative and the noise is still there

HARVZ-6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT spac super6
sure it isnt an exhaust leak?

is it there when you put it under load ie driving an accelerating lightly up to speed?

have a look at the exhaust manifold to make sure they havnt cracked.. its not uncommon for this to occur

2ndLook

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Like HARVZ-6 says it sounds like a crack in your exhaust manifold. My VT has the same ticking noise my mechanic said thats what it is. It drives me mad, but no time 2 get it fixed so far.

kovini

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Exec. Wagon
had this in the old VP years ago. was (amongst other probs) the exhaust manifold, which had thoughtfully cracked. I bush mechanic'ed it with the trusty old stick welder (had to stitch it). fixed it, and its still going today, although for the in-laws (had over 470K on the clock when they got it 3 years ago... )

just hang a tissue over the manifold when idling (cold, so you dont burn yourself too bad). when it flaps a little, thats where the leak is. Could also be that the bolts are loose, or there is no gasket in there. ive seen that a couple of times, when somebody has done "quick fixes", that dont include things like gaskets! :)

I wouldn't recommend welding them up though. if yours is cracked, just pick up a cheapie at the wreckers.