Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ticking/tapping sound from the engine

freefallin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina / VZ SS LS1
Recently changed oil and filter and went on a 600 km trip. When i reached my destination, i noticed that the engine was ticking. The ticking/tapping increases with the rpm, meaning it ticks faster if i rev the engine.

I removed the serpentine belt and started the car to make sure if it was from the block and sure enough it was still clicking. The oil that i used was Mobil super 1000 20w50 xps high performance, same one ive always used.

I used a stethoscope and the noise is coming from the inlet manifold.

Car's got 234k on the clock.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Id try using a different oil and see if that helps. I was using penrite 15W-60 semi synthetic for a while in my VSV6, and I kept getting ticking noises from the engine at idle whenever it was worked hard or revved hard.. I changed to mobil 1 5W-50 full synthetic oil and it runs dead quiet now with no more ticking after a hard run..
Some people have also reported having problems with ryco oil filters dropping too much oil pressure, which then causes the engine to run more noisily, so if you used a ryco filter, try a genuine oil filter from your local dealer instead. Theryre cheaper than ryco too.

Last edited:

freefallin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina / VZ SS LS1
Id try using a different oil and see if that helps. I was using penrite 15W-60 semi synthetic for a while in my VSV6, and I kept getting ticking noises from the engine at idle whenever it was worked hard or revved hard.. I changed to mobil 1 5W-50 full synthetic oil and it runs dead quiet now with no more ticking after a hard run..
Some people have also reported having problems with ryco oil filters dropping too much oil pressure, which then causes the engine to run more noisily, so if you used a ryco filter, try a genuine oil filter from your local dealer instead. Theryre cheaper than ryco too.

Thanks for your input Brett! I've already changed the oil and filter...again. I also flushed the engine using oil flush...also again. And i used the genuine filter as well.
The oil i used this time was Castrol GTX 20w50 sl. And its still ticking. drove it on another trip as well. Hoped it would stop during the trip but it didnt.

Now what? :confused:

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
What model or year is the car? I'd be checking the oil pressure next. The oil pressure reading for the VT/VX/VY V6 should be 375 kPa (54 PSI) at 1850 RPM hot...The workshop manual doesnt give a pressure reading at idle, but it should probably show around 30 to 60 kPa id say.. Check both cold and hot pressures. If the pressure shows as being ok when the engine is first started from cold, but then drops off considerably once the engine has reached operating temperature, its a good sign that the engines got worn main/big end bearings..

SJM38S

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX Calais L67
Another possibility is lifter(s), they're in the base of the valley so could send there noise up through inlet manifold easily.

freefallin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina / VZ SS LS1
What model or year is the car? I'd be checking the oil pressure next. The oil pressure reading for the VT/VX/VY V6 should be 375 kPa (54 PSI) at 1850 RPM hot...The workshop manual doesnt give a pressure reading at idle, but it should probably show around 30 to 60 kPa id say.. Check both cold and hot pressures. If the pressure shows as being ok when the engine is first started from cold, but then drops off considerably once the engine has reached operating temperature, its a good sign that the engines got worn main/big end bearings..
Car is a 03' vy. Ive already done an oil pressure test. Pressure is 60psi at cold start, then goes down to 40psi when engine warms up and at idle. 1850 rpm produces 60psi. What does this mean?

CONROD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS THUNDER 6.0l 6 Sp
You have oil pressure on par with an engine thats got a 1/4 of the kays yours has got,I,d be keeping away from putting oil flush through it as that stuff can cause heartbreak if it happens to dislodge a small piece of baked on carbon and it then happens to find its way to say a lifter and block a feed hole.
When it comes to oil, thicker or heavier weight is not always the answer to a quieter engine,I,d be turning to a lighter easier flowing oil around the 10w40 weight and see how that goes.
You say its just started and it seems like its coming from the top end,I would whip the rocker covers off and check the rockers /valve clearance,piece of mind for a couple of gaskets.When you do have the covers off if its as clean as a whistle you know then you dont need to put any more oil flush through it also,as going by those oil pressure readings it seems to have healthy bearing clearances

Jus1010

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve sv6 2006
Hey just wondering I've gotten this ticking noise from my VE SV6 as we'll just wondering what it would be ??

Matty087

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 Vt SS 5.0L
I Also have a ticking noise coming from the intake manifold. My mechanic informed me that it's lifter noise