Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tighten an LSD?

maldotcom2

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cammed mafless VS Calais 5-speed.
I'm about to pull apart a BW LSD centre and replace the cones. I have little knowledge on LSD's so i'm wondering if there's anything i can do to make it engage faster under less load.

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 WRX, VS SSenator & VS V6 track weapon
Takes a bit of careful consideration to get it right. From experience shimming is the least reliable option when an LSD is original and worn out. Most VN-VS LSD's are getting pretty old now days and the clutch cone material can become soft. In some cases when you face them and shim them the cones will just wear out in no time. This has happened to me twice One of those times was within 2000kms, and ONLY one small skid in a straight line off the lights. After the second time i vowed that every time i got an LSD, that still had original internals, i would ALWAYS replace the cones with new oversize ones. Never had a failure since.

IMO setting up an LSD is a fine art to get tolerances/ preloads/ shims etc right. SO it's worth the money to got to someone reliable to build it properly. I watched my diff guy recond mine and it's pretty tricky.

maldotcom2

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hmm, fair enough. I do have new cones to go in. I was talking to a mate and he referred me to a guy that will setup the centre to my requirements for less than $150. Seems like a good deal to me. I want it tight, but not so tight that it becomes unstable in the wet. Thanks.

VK_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK V6
I wouldn't say that its as tricky as RUF 231 says (but then again nothing is once you've done it once or twice). That's a moot point though - if you can get someone to do everything for $150 then you'd be mad not to take him up on it, that's a great deal!

maldotcom2

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turns out it will be under $200 to be machined and tightened. Still good though.

I hate spending money on holden LSD's. If you get it sideways a few too many times they flog out :hmmm: If only i had the money for a kaaz or similar.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
as long as you dont do right hand down burnouts they last a long time