Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

timing belt/chain setting

CAL-FTW

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais 5lt
Hi guys,
first time poster-long time trawler
needing some advice on the timing of my VR calais.
just dropped a 2nd hand motor into the girl and was told the timing is out by about 3-4 degrese. Now i dont know alot about timing, where to set it or even where to start (its about the only thing i wouldnt attempt myself) jusdt after the correct settings etc how many degres or is there a marker i should be looking for?

sorry to ask such a silly question. you'd think if i could put a motor and box in my car i could set the timing :(

cheers

Mark

levymetal

TURN MY HEADPHONES UP
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV ENHANCED VP CALAIS
are you talking about cam timing or spark timing?

here's the instructions for advancing spark timing. about the 5th time i've copied and pasted it, the answers are out there if you search ;). if you want it factory, then set it to 10 degrees. same instructions apply. you'll have to figure out how to put a vr into diagnostic mode, this was written for vn/vp.

to advance the timing on the dizzy, you'll need a timing light. bridge the ALDL connector to put it into diagnostic mode (there are tuts on this in the vn/vp section). check the timing first, see what it's running at the moment. should be 10 degrees BTDC if no one has touched it. look at the timing marks under the water pump near the balancer, there are 2 tall lines and lots of shorter ones. it goes like this
14 12 10 8 6 4 2 0. 10 and 0 are the tall lines. there are more lines than this but this is all you'll need to look at. now, loosen the bolt at the bottom of the dizzy (dizzy is hidden at the back of the motor drivers side). twist the dizzy, and keep checking the timing to see where it's going. 14 degrees will give you decent power. once done, tighten up that bolt, and check timing again to make sure it hasn't moved.

here a youtube video that will help you out (thanks to luke for this) YouTube - How To Guide: Adjusting Ignition Timing

CAL-FTW

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais 5lt
yeah sorry i did mean ignition timing.
and thank you for your prompt reply. I did search but im my haste, i did not fully utilise all options given.
thank you very much. the help was greatly appreciated.

betts

Reaction score
Members Ride
b
Levymetal, does it make a difference to timing if this is not done in diagnostic mode?

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Levymetal, does it make a difference to timing if this is not done in diagnostic mode?

Cant do it without being in diagnostic mode, It'll be out by miles

betts

Reaction score
Members Ride
b
Ah, well that might be my problem then. I remember watching my mechanic adjusting the dizzy, and it wasn't in diagnostic mode, so maybe that is the problem?

levymetal

TURN MY HEADPHONES UP
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV ENHANCED VP CALAIS
Ah, well that might be my problem then. I remember watching my mechanic adjusting the dizzy, and it wasn't in diagnostic mode, so maybe that is the problem?

do you know what he set it to? if he set it to 10 degrees without being in diagnostic mode, you'd be running MASSIVE retarded timing :p

betts

Reaction score
Members Ride
b
Yep, that's exactly what he set it to. Gotta get that fixed straight away!