Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Timing chain, Valve springs and ballance shaft Q

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Get rid of it as soon as you can as they’re much harder on the chain tensioner then the factory item. You don’t want it to break up and end up in the sump.

True.

I remember it was a joint decision between me and the engine builder at the time on whether or not to add one, the last one was FUBAR, so I got a new one, and we put it in. There was a fair bit of movement in the chain as I remember.

Maybe I'll have a look on my next day off. How much deflection would be OK before I leave it in?

MACE

Reaction score
Ok Just placed another online order with mace for a new roller chain set.

it will be my loss with the other one I guess, at least it wasn't a huge outlay.

Steve the pic shows everything set to TDC with the "0" keyway used on the drive cog, this was only bolted up to check the fitment it is not a final build or anything so the cam hasn't been dialled in or anything yet.

Now what else will I go back and buy of Mace now lol MMMMMMMM Some nice light alloy heads would be good :)

cheers Andy

You should still try and get you money back as it does give honest sellers a bad name.

I should have made myself clearer before. By angular displacement of the cam sprocket as, I was referring to the amount of "angular" play at the cam which would influence cam timing.

This is the final product of chain slack which is most important to have an understanding on.

True.

I remember it was a joint decision between me and the engine builder at the time on whether or not to add one, the last one was FUBAR, so I got a new one, and we put it in. There was a fair bit of movement in the chain as I remember.

Maybe I'll have a look on my next day off. How much deflection would be OK before I leave it in?

less then a 1/4 of a degree would be fine I would imagine. It's not the slack of the chain itself that a major problem (though too much would noticeably increase shock loading) more cam timing accuracy.

Cheers,
Steve

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
The rollmaster set offers different length chains. This is to allow a no tensioner situation or a "with tensioner" use. Tensioner should be omitted IMO and it looks like the chain you have there is for use with a tensioner which is a no no. Ask for the silver IWIS chain too. That only comes in the no tensioner length AFAIK

4bait

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR
Sorry steve a miss understanding LOL

With the degree wheel fitted to cam sprocket it is showing 1-1/2 deg back and forth movement with that chain set shown
the chain has rollman or somthing stamped in to each link

cheers Andy

MACE

Reaction score
That's too much angular play.

JP Chain
Rolon

Rollmaster Chain
Welcome to iwis

As for the chain lengths between the two I assumed that they would be the same and that they'd go off the same chain standard. Been about 3 years since I held a JP in my hand. Then again the rollmaster is probably based off the DIN standard, while the JP would either be ISO or ANSI, so what chargedvx6 has said makes sense.

4bait

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR
Thanks Mace

I just got back from Holidays a couple of days ago and all the bits were here waiting for me, The timing chain set, 130# springs/ retainers all look the goods thankyou.

have fitted the chain set just to see the difference as it came in the same box and yes this one is a much tighter fit.
measuring the two different sets it appears the JP cogs are a smidge smaller, combined with a looser chain.

almost ready to start building this up but looking at some different cam options that may suit the boat just got to check how much more The handbrake (wife) will let me spend LOL.

Might have to add some plenium and manifold spacers too for a tad extra low down response

Cheers Andy

MACE

Reaction score
Ah nice :)

Can supply you with a cam to suit your needs so that not a drama. As for the handbrake thing well Valentine's day is coming up and I'm sure your could counter act some boating expenses with a bunch of rose LOL :) Depending on how far you went I dare say you could also sneak in a one tonne universal mill in the workshop with that sort of charm LOL :D

Cheers,
Steve