Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Timing chain VE 2010 sports wagon - smoking

Ginnypov

Reaction score
Members Ride
V6 sportswagon
Hello fellow Holden caretakers. Took my V6 VE 2010 sidi Sports wagon (256245kms) to a mechanic last year for a fuel sensor replacement in the reserve tank. I queried the engine light and code for timing chain resulted. Wasn't a real issue then, but certainly is now. Had been home from work (10 mins drive), Car was rested half hour before starting and moved it five meters to give it a wash and noticed a strong fuel smell. While in park I gave full excelleration which wouldn't go past 4000rpm and heaps of white smoke come pouring out both exhausts. hoping it would clear itself, I kept it going for nearly a minute. No change. Turned off gave wash, restarted but not smoothly and was running extremely rough. Parked it up. Few hours later went to start and same rough rich and smoking. Turned off and on again and upon a half crank the motor sounded like a quick clonk and then nothing. After that it only cranked, but would not fire. Next morning, cranked,fired,run extremely rough, very rich smell and probably going to blow smoke. Turned off went to work.
My question is I need to get it to the shop (garage), this is half an hours drive. Have I or will I damage it beyond repair if I attempted to drive it?

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
Hello fellow Holden caretakers. Took my V6 VE 2010 sidi Sports wagon (256245kms) to a mechanic last year for a fuel sensor replacement in the reserve tank. I queried the engine light and code for timing chain resulted. Wasn't a real issue then, but certainly is now. Had been home from work (10 mins drive), Car was rested half hour before starting and moved it five meters to give it a wash and noticed a strong fuel smell. While in park I gave full excelleration which wouldn't go past 4000rpm and heaps of white smoke come pouring out both exhausts. hoping it would clear itself, I kept it going for nearly a minute. No change. Turned off gave wash, restarted but not smoothly and was running extremely rough. Parked it up. Few hours later went to start and same rough rich and smoking. Turned off and on again and upon a half crank the motor sounded like a quick clonk and then nothing. After that it only cranked, but would not fire. Next morning, cranked,fired,run extremely rough, very rich smell and probably going to blow smoke. Turned off went to work.
My question is I need to get it to the shop (garage), this is half an hours drive. Have I or will I damage it beyond repair if I attempted to drive it?
Definitely pay to get it towed.

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SV6, 2010 International, 1996 VS Exec
Sounds like an injector is stuck open (or more than one)
30 minute drive you might not make it!
Do you have road side assist I am not sure what they call it where you are but in SA it is RAA and they normally have a free tow to a repairer if you ring them otherwise you are best trying to get a cheap tow.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Definitely as above sounds like an injector.
It not cranking was probably hydro lock from the fuel, when it leaks back past the rings into the sump it can spin again.

Ginnypov

Reaction score
Members Ride
V6 sportswagon
Definitely as above sounds like an injector.
It not cranking was probably hydro lock from the fuel, when it leaks back past the rings into the sump it can spin again.
I've been recommended a closer garage 10 mins away. The oil stick smells like Ive dipped the fuel tank.
Im going to read the injector forum now. Thank you all for your comments.