Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Timing Chain Mechanic Recommendations North Brisbane

Phil G

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ii Commodore SV6
Hi All,

My 2010 SV6 SiDi is throwing a P0008 code and a P0301 misfire code, and a P0087 (is this a fuel pressure issue?). They seem to be related as the car did not appear to have any issues prior to it going full limp mode on me today and is now showing both. However my research seems to suggest that they are separate issues. I recently changed my oil about a week ago, going from 5w30 to 5w40 per a mechanic's suggestion - on average I would say I've changed the oil every 15,000 k's. Also the car has never had a timing chain looked at or replaced, even though I have not noticed any knocking noise coming from engine. It's been a while since I checked for any codes, so it's possible the timing chain issue has been there for a while slowly getting worse but the misfire due to clogged injector might've brought my attention to both issues...

Happy to hear thoughts on the above, but thinking I should start investigating mechanics who can replace the timing chain. Has anyone had a good recent experience with a mechanic for this issue in Brisbane? and is there anything I should be aware of to make this process easier?

Thanks in advance, I appreciate all of the knowledge on this forum, I come to it often.

Capsule

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE Omega
It’s well known the 15K interval is way too much on these engines. I would be careful investing into a new timing chain if the engine is sludged to death already. How many Ks has the car travelled?

Phil G

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ii Commodore SV6
It’s well known the 15K interval is way too much on these engines. I would be careful investing into a new timing chain if the engine is sludged to death already. How many Ks has the car travelled?
It has 156,000 k's. Worth noting I hardly put 10,000 k's on it per year and 90% of that is very short trips less than say 5-10km

Would there be any identifiable symptoms of sludge that I could self diagnose?

I mean the car runs and drives beautifully for the most part, never had an issue. It's had an easy life

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Short trips are the worst for the engine.
Engine never heats up properly.
In your case you should be using a high quality 5-30 oil not 5- 40.

Phil G

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ii Commodore SV6
Ah ok, thankfully I had been using 5w30 nulon full synthetic ever since 2016 in it (except for the last week since oil change). Is the 5w40 too thick?

Capsule

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE Omega
Ah ok, thankfully I had been using 5w30 nulon full synthetic ever since 2016 in it (except for the last week since oil change). Is the 5w40 too thick?
It would definitely not help with potentially blocked oil passages due to sludge. Flush it and use 5w30 as before. Not even sure why your mechanic would recommend using 5w40.

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Wagon..2012 VE Sportwagon.
It would definitely not help with potentially blocked oil passages due to sludge. Flush it and use 5w30 as before. Not even sure why your mechanic would recommend using 5w40.
A lot of smaller mechanic shops only keep 5/40 in the synthetic range and its often a cheaper oil off the fringe suppliers,jungle out there.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
A lot of smaller mechanic shops only keep 5/40 in the synthetic range and its often a cheaper oil off the fringe suppliers,jungle out there.

Incorrect.
The 5w-40 that workshops commonly use is always a semi synthetic, most companies do one like Penrite, Valvoline, Castrol, they only sell it trade and usually comes in 44gal drums or you can order it pump in if you have a tank.

But yes 5w-30 full synthetic is preferred for these engines.

The internet myths say you can't do X kilometres on X engine.
The thing is semi synthetic oil gets used and then people do 15k intervals when the manufacturer recommends 7.5k intervals with semi synthetic oil.

I used to work for a place that used 5w-40 semi in alloytec engines, partly because they're tight arsed cunts and partly because they use Valovoline who started off recommending 5w-40 durablend for alloytec engines then realised the issue with this, then they changed their website to only list the Synpower 5w-30 about 6 years ago.
If you call Valvoline technical line they will unofficially tell you durablend can be used but at 7.5k intervals, well they did for me, they're hesitant on giving out advise that's not offical.

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Wagon..2012 VE Sportwagon.
If you can't do the the oil change yourself always supply your own oil for the service,beats the hell out of cheap generic garage stuff.
We ran a 24hr Roadhouse for 16 years and its amazing the shortcuts mechanics use,a lot just don't care..

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
If you can't do the the oil change yourself always supply your own oil for the service,beats the hell out of cheap generic garage stuff.
We ran a 24hr Roadhouse for 16 years and its amazing the shortcuts mechanics use,a lot just don't care..

A lot just aren't trained properly.