Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tips for removing/replacing the cats - access to the top bolts...

dessy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII SSV Redline Sedan & 2014 VW Golf R
G'day,
I have some shiny new high flow cats that are designed to bolt onto my HSV headers. Yesterday I got under the car thinking I could do it easily enough as it only involved 4 bolts. I was wrong, the upper two bolts where the cats attach to the headers are out of sight and in awkward positions making it hard to get a tool in there let alone to use it. Any tips as to technique or type of tool, I was using 15mm socket/wrench. The answer may be to remove the headers/cats completely as a unit but I don't really want to do that unless there is no other practical option.
Cheers.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
G'day,
I have some shiny new high flow cats that are designed to bolt onto my HSV headers. Yesterday I got under the car thinking I could do it easily enough as it only involved 4 bolts. I was wrong, the upper two bolts where the cats attach to the headers are out of sight and in awkward positions making it hard to get a tool in there let alone to use it. Any tips as to technique or type of tool, I was using 15mm socket/wrench. The answer may be to remove the headers/cats completely as a unit but I don't really want to do that unless there is no other practical option.
Cheers.

A long extension and a 15mm universal socket might do the job....
Otherwise, just remove the headers.

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
Yes, you can do it with a long extension and a uni, and it helps if you have a short spanner so you can reach up from underneath when the bolts are loose and remove them by feel.

dessy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yes, you can do it with a long extension and a uni, and it helps if you have a short spanner so you can reach up from underneath when the bolts are loose and remove them by feel.

Thanks guys. Was the from above approach with the stock manifolds or HSV headers? I just has a look and all but one bolt looks like it would blocked by header piping?

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Thanks guys. Was the from above approach with the stock manifolds or HSV headers? I just has a look and all but one bolt looks like it would blocked by header piping?

That was HSV headers.

VF Ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 2 Redline ute
G'day,
Cheers.

Can I ask where you got the HFC's from and approximate price? Bolting up to stock or HSV cat back? Rear sensor bung positioning? Going to be going down the same road at some point.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
A lot quicker and easier to remove the headers and cats in one piece, fit the new cats and bolt them all back up.

dessy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Just to close the loop on what we ended up doing. On the passenger side the header was removed to replace the cat but on the drivers side we were able to get to the four bolts (from above and below), however it was a little awkward.

Thanks to all for the advice.​

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
That's good to know about driver's side. Unbolting the steering rod makes me a little nervous.
BTW: You haven't quite closed the loop. ^^VF Ute asked a question about your cats etc.