Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tips on buying a VE ss

dimetime

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve calais 6lt
Depends really, how much for just the cam?
cam only package includes:
• ECU Re-program
• Penrite Motor Oil
• Genuine GM Oil Filter
• Penrite Coolant
• Timing Cover Set
• Cam gear 4 sensor
• ARP cam bolts
• GM balancer bolt
• Performance Camshaft
• PAC Valve Springs
• NGK Spark Plugs
• Before and After dyno graph
round $2700
youd suggest lifters, retainers and pushrods?

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
cam only package includes:
• ECU Re-program
• Penrite Motor Oil
• Genuine GM Oil Filter
• Penrite Coolant
• Timing Cover Set
• Cam gear 4 sensor
• ARP cam bolts
• GM balancer bolt
• Performance Camshaft
• PAC Valve Springs
• NGK Spark Plugs
• Before and After dyno graph
round $2700
youd suggest lifters, retainers and pushrods?
That’s a good price BTW. What are the cam specs?
I’d lift the heads and proper overhaul now, lifters no question in that case as set is only $220 and $150 for guides.
Core swap heads requires extra $1300 investment: inc new LS3 valves, seals, seats, springs, etc $880 plus $200 gasket and $220 ARP head bolt kit.
Think the retainers and pushrods are included.
So $4400 gets you top end and complete valvetrain overhaul, running new cam. At least budget for that now as there is not going to be a better opportunity.

dimetime

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve calais 6lt
That’s a good price BTW. What are the cam specs?
I’d lift the heads and proper overhaul now, lifters no question in that case as set is only $220 and $150 for guides.
Core swap heads requires extra $1300 investment: inc new LS3 valves, seals, seats, springs, etc $880 plus $200 gasket and $220 ARP head bolt kit.
Think the retainers and pushrods are included.
So $4400 gets you top end and complete valvetrain overhaul, running new cam. At least budget for that now as there is not going to be a better opportunity.
268˚ 278˚ 216˚ 226˚ .600" .598" 112lsa

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
268˚ 278˚ 216˚ 226˚ .600" .598" 112lsa
Exact same exhaust opening as current, closes earlier. Intake opens later and closes earlier.
25% more lift, more overlap and aggressive ramp.
I get it short duration high lift but thing is that’s too much lift for the setup medium to long term. Same with solid steel valves being whacked with a harsher lobe at higher RPM.
I don’t think the shop would warrant the engine more than 20k km? I’d look into that.

dimetime

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve calais 6lt
Exact same exhaust opening as current, closes earlier. Intake opens later and closes earlier.
25% more lift, more overlap and aggressive ramp.
I get it short duration high lift but thing is that’s too much lift for the setup medium to long term. Same with solid steel valves being whacked with a harsher lobe at higher RPM.
I don’t think the shop would warrant the engine more than 20k km? I’d look into that.
any grind from this catalogue for a daily no stall you like?
http://www.camtechcams.com.au/hold_sb_gen3_rollhyd.html

dimetime

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve calais 6lt
The second one down.
thanks for the info mate! csn you give me any info on that selection? or why not possibley the third one?
cheers!

pikey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Ute Manual 2009
Thanks for your replies. Might of found one with 97 k's on the clock ..That should last a while before any major repairs

Thanks

dimetime

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve calais 6lt
Thanks for your replies. Might of found one with 97 k's on the clock ..That should last a while before any major repairs

Thanks
sorry for hijacking your thread mate!

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
thanks for the info mate! csn you give me any info on that selection? or why not possibley the third one?
cheers!
Sure first thing is Cam2 has -10° overlap vs Cam3 -14°, so while both higher than stock, Cam2 has more apparent “caminess”, a positive in this study.
These mild cams share near identical exhaust close and intake opening, both offer a bigger gulp earlier than any GM’s cams which means more intake charge at more usable RPM bandwidth.
However the defining difference is the intake close event (by far weighs the most important), and also differs with the exhaust opening.
Cam2 IVC is 65.5° ABDC - Very Early
Cam3 IVC is 71° ABDC - Early
Search the web for EIVC vs LIVC for more detail but main thing is higher effective compression bump to 8.3:1 vs stock 7.9:1, you will notice that translates to more torque in the lower range, easier low idle, possibly better fuel economy depending on tune. Good power up to safe RPM too, fastest NA zetas use EIVC cams, google “little Lunati”.
By far the biggest mistake people make with cams is specifiying a huge duration intake which extends IVC and lowers compression and torque down low, doesn’t perform until dangerous peak RPM (useless).
On the other hand Cam3 IVC is 71°, still EIVC and hugely better than for the Commie than the LS3’s Corvette-spec cam.
The second main difference is the exhaust open event, Cam3 EVO is relatively early which will produce higher average power and a flat torque curve across the power band.
I've noticed with an early IVC event and an early EVO event our car is much faster at the track and produces much more torque from the early close.
Combine a late EVO event with added overlap (which Cam3 doesn't have) and the right IVC event and you have a torque monster of a cam that will pull to whatever you limit it to with the IVC event.

So Cam2 gets my vote.

My cam Matrix worksheet:
B5C4B897-FC49-49D6-BE10-CC7F52A85200.jpeg