Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

tire shine ?

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Olive oil was mentioned............Castor oil does a good job as well and does not affect rubber, same as glycerine.
Just wipe on with a cloth.
If you spray anything without masking off then of course it's going to be all over the place.

I just don't understand why people spend money on things that are not required when you probably have this stuff like castor etc. at home doing nothing.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
as mentioned an old school method ,but black shoe polish , takes a while but gives a more natural shine without looking to wet and shiny . If you've seen the Worlds fastest Indian , Burt Munroe , rubbed black boot polish on his motorcycles tyres , to repair cracks , mind you he cut grooves in the tyres as well .NZ number 8 wire repair job .

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Olive oil was mentioned............Castor oil does a good job as well and does not affect rubber, same as glycerine.
Just wipe on with a cloth.
If you spray anything without maski ng off then of course it's going to be all over the place.

I just don't understand why people spend money on things that are not required when you probably have this stuff like castor etc. at home doing nothing.

OOH , castor oil :spew:, my Nana's remedy for everthing

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
I use the 'Meguiars Hot Shine Tyre Spray' the one in the trigger pack, what I do is spray a small amount onto an old Meguiars foam pad that you use for applying wax/polish and just wipe over the tyres with it, leaves a nice thin film and no excess to flick off and as you are not spraying it nothing gets on the wheels or paintwork. Takes a couple of minutes to do the 4 wheels and as you don't use much the bottle I have has lasted for ages.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
as mentioned an old school method ,but black shoe polish , takes a while but gives a more natural shine without looking to wet and shiny . If you've seen the Worlds fastest Indian , Burt Munroe , rubbed black boot polish on his motorcycles tyres , to repair cracks , mind you he cut grooves in the tyres as well .NZ number 8 wire repair job .

Black shoe polish works very well. And I can remember Burt doing the Indian tyres in the movie.......Great movie BTW.

I've used black shoe polish on plenty of tyres and hoods on MGs and Austin Healeys over the years........And even a modern MX5.

splcrazy

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV GEN-F VF CLUBSPORT SV 340

yeah ive watched that movie . great movie , but terrible new zealand accent lol

splcrazy

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV GEN-F VF CLUBSPORT SV 340
ok so i was at the car wash and got one of these Predator 4oz. Bottle "Tire Gloss" $5 dollars great shine long lasting , lasted all week and i reapplied it again a week later still looks fantastic , and ZERO spin off ZERO spray on the paint . its a milky white spray kinda like armor all stuff . i havnt used the armor all tire shine in years so i dont know what that stuff is like now , i might get a bottle of that one day to see what its like . but ill never use gels or spray on gels ever again . the stuff below in the pic is the answer .

capture_007_07022015_230812_zps1a05d387.jpg

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
For a low sheen, HD Dress from Detail Central or Swissvax Pneu from Car Care Products - Car Cleaning Wax & Polish - Car Detailing
For satin, Zaino Z16 from Car Care Products - Car Cleaning Wax & Polish - Car Detailing

Heavy gels or high gloss finishes are generally more trouble than their worth and will almost always sling as well as attract dust. I also hate the look, so I never use them.

As said, whatever you use, spray or pour onto a foam applicator first, to avoid overspray on your wheels that will attract brake dust, and wipe away any excess after the recommended amount of time.

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
Do what I do, tyre shine before washing the car. The excess rinses off.