Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tk barina abs issues

Rusty

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt with VU/VZ bits
Hey guys, I have found some issues with the wifes TK Barina. I was driving the other day when the ABS light came on. When coming to a stand still I hear a grauncing noise and sometimes an electrical tick when the brakes engage. This is only some of the time. I have spoken to a mechanic and he says either a blockage in the ABS unit or the pistons in the breaks are uneven. I drove it at around 30km/h and jumped on the brakes hard a couple of times and that seemed to make the problem disappear for a while. The ABS light is intermittent, sometimes on and sometimes off with no pattern at all. Some mornings the car stops beautifully but others not. Also, very sorry for the wall of text but the friggen enter button isn't working on this site for some reason? Any help appreciated

Rusty

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt with VU/VZ bits
Still having issues with this P.O.S.

Any suggestions guys?

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Good place to start might be to pull the wheels off and pull out and clean the ABS sensors, they might be overly clogged with filings. My memory is a little hazy i seem to remember there was something about filing the ABS sensors on the TK Barinas...sorry to be so vague.

I'd start with taking the wheels off and giving it a check over.

Rusty

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt with VU/VZ bits
Thanks Sab, will look into it this evening. Appreciate the help

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
You need to find someone with a suitable scantool that can read and clear ABS error codes on a barina-(Tech 1 or Tech 2 scantool etc). The ABS will have logged an error code when the dashlight came on, and this code will point to where the problem is.
Below is a list of ABS error codes for a commodore. THESE CODES BELOW ARE NOT FOR A BARINA- Ive just posted them up to give you a bit of an idea as to what I mean about certain ABS error codes pointing to different areas of the ABS systems.
With some holden vehicles, ABS error codes can also be flashed up via the ABS dashlight, (similar to checking ECU error codes on older commys.) so you dont need a scantool to read them.. To do this, you just need to bridge certain pins in the diagnostic connector to enable the ABS test,
A Barina workshop manual should say whether this can be done or not, and if it can , it will show the correct pins that need to be bridged in the diagnostic plug to get the ABS test started.

12 Diagnostic system operational.
21 Right hand front wheel speed sensor fault
23 Right hand front wheel speed sensor continuity fault
25 Left hand front wheel speed sensor fault
27 Left hand front wheel speed sensor continuity fault
28 Wheel speed sensor frequency error
31 Right hand rear wheel speed sensor fault
33 Right hand rear wheel speed sensor continuity fault
35 Left hand rear wheel speed sensor fault
37 Left hand rear wheel speed sensor continuity fault
41 Right hand front inlet solenoid valve circuit fault
42 Right hand front outlet solenoid valve circuit fault
45 Left hand front inlet solenoid valve circuit fault
46 Left hand front outlet solenoid valve circuit fault
55 Rear inlet solenoid valve circuit fault
56 Rear outlet solenoid valve circuit fault
61 Pump motor relay circuit fault
63 Valve relay circuit fault
71 ABS control module internal fault

Last edited:

Rusty

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt with VU/VZ bits
Thanks Brett, I will have a go at clearing the sensor and then head to someone with the scan tool

Rusty

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt with VU/VZ bits
Hooked up the barina to a snap on scan tool and it recorded no errors whatsoever.

Found valve seal leak and rocker gasket leak whilst I was at it. Sick of cars at moment, three vehicles and they all got issues

Rusty

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt with VU/VZ bits
Looks like Sab may have been onto something. Removed the sensor and it was pretty clogged with filings. Cleared out all the crap and it seemed to drive and stop fine on the way to work this morning. The ABS light did return after about 45 minutes of driving but no physical braking issues.

I will take it in and try and get the error code cleared and see if that is the end of the issues. I haven't looked into physically filing the sensor as that scares me a bit but will escalate to those measures if required.

Appreciate all the help guys.

Rusty

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt with VU/VZ bits
Update for those playing at home.

How to clear error codes on TK Barina (and prob other models) - Disconnect battery and pump brakes about 20 times.

Also learnt that filing the sensors can cause further issues and the replacement sensors are only about 20 bucks a pop.

Fairly common issue on these things. Also learnt that the barina shares the same gasket and valve seal set as daewoo.

morphix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6 5-Speed Auto
My girlfriends barina tk she had used to randomly pop up with abs light about 3 times a year and prior to us owning it had 3 recorded abs unit replacements under warranty from Holden, so something was up there. The TK Barina is based off Daewoo just a rebadging hence same gaskets, etc

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk