Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

To all owners of VE SS or SSV wagons with modified exhausts

loku16

Reaction score
Website
www.addicted2fish.com.au
Members Ride
2010 VE SS-V Wagon
Hi Guys,
I have a VE SSV wagon and got a full 3" exhaust including OTR and extractors from VCM. The bloody thing drones at 2000 and can't seem to get rid of it. I know some places guarantee that their systems will not drone but I'm asking whether your wagon drones at 2000rpm and if not, what system you have. The boys at VCM put some sort of diffuser in the mufflers but it has helped only marginally and they say they have not had this issue in any other wagons. They said my large wheels 20" with 275s at rear might contribute but I can't see how.

I know that we don't like to criticise our own cars and the mods we have done but I would appreciate honest feedback on your exhaust system.

Thanks in advance.
Arj

gsh1970

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SSV ute XYZ XYZ
I have same mods ie vcm and no drone all / I have SSV ute auto with standard 19" wheels - I know yr asking about wagons but might assist

bennypage

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S2 SS Sportwagon
Personally I think your problem might be the 3 inch. I have a full HM/Perry 2.5" exhaust including extractors and outlaw cats fitted by Walkinshaw and there is minimal drone. I am off Walkinshaw now as I have had a horrid experience recently. But the hardware is good.

Nemo316

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore SSV
My sedan drones a bit at 2000rpm but I've only got a 2.5" cat back at the moment, I'm getting headers and a VCM otr cai soon.

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
Brothers wagon has no drone with his 2.5" full kpm system, it's a manual too.
Is yours an auto? Most systems will drone a bit in the wagons with autos, not much you can do about it.

BlueSteele

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE SSV Sportswagon
Wagons are very difficult. Kinda thinking the same as RUF. is the AFM off??
the only other thing that could fix it is change your diff gears to a 3.45 or 3.7..will get it out of the drone zone

loku16

Reaction score
Website
www.addicted2fish.com.au
Members Ride
2010 VE SS-V Wagon
AFM is off. Has had a full tune too.

Wagons are very difficult. Kinda thinking the same as RUF. is the AFM off??
the only other thing that could fix it is change your diff gears to a 3.45 or 3.7..will get it out of the drone zone

I was thinking the same. Expensive option though! Wondering if I put some HM/Perry mufflers whether that would help!

CORNYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VZ
Personally I think your problem might be the 3 inch. I have a full HM/Perry 2.5" exhaust including extractors and outlaw cats fitted by Walkinshaw and there is minimal drone. I am off Walkinshaw now as I have had a horrid experience recently. But the hardware is good.

Think this guy might be on the money? I know you can put 3" on v8 but majority have 2.5 the three is sometimes just to big an its sucking out to much causing the drone affect when cruising around that RPM, I could be wrong do you have a mate with the same car or that could help you out an swap exhaust for a week sort of thing?

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
VCM market their 3 inch as the quieter of the 2 (3 vs 2.5) in their range, for stock motors. They recommend against fitting a 2.5 inch to a wagon incase it drones.

I know you've been struggling with this issue for a while, Loku - I would have thought they'd have sorted it by now. All the best with it mate.