Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

To supercharge or to swap motor?

What to do?

• Swap to LSA motor?

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Supercharge L77

Votes: 7 53.8%

• Total voters

christov

RFFN RFFR
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, BMW M4 Coupe, Harley V-Rod
Howdy folks,

Before I continue to hassle the workshops I've been haggling with for best price on supercharging my SS, I thought I'd seek some advice on here for my alternate option.

Here they are:
- Harrop or Magnuson 2.3L supercharger, fitted & tuned for approx. 13k drive in drive out.
- Purchase and install a brand new, complete LSA crate motor (about 11k delivered) and have it tuned and potentially fit a higher boost pulley.

So the questions I have are:

What's my ballpark figure to have the L77 pulled out and the LSA motor installed?
Will the stock LSA with the usual bolt ons and a tune achieve 400rwkw?
Is their anything I haven't thought of that could hinder this?

Cheers!

Chris

christov

RFFN RFFR
Reaction score
Members Ride

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
id suggest contact a few more places to see what they can do for you in regards to what you want.
remembering there will be more to it than just slapping a charger on.

Harrop charger should come with everything you need, however if you go to the trouble you may aswell upgrade a few extras to obtain better results.
LSA although awesome will again need more work to achieve results you would be wanting. again remember that a kW figure is just a sheet number.

where abouts in melb are you? (ie north, south east etc)
as it may help point you to the right workshops

some of the shops will definitely give you the best way to go about it, however it will end up costing more than you probably want to budget for.
definately a good chance youll be having to change a few other things to tap into the true performance of the Charger.
do it once do it right.

kiwicon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Manual
I like post where people ask others what they should spend their money on, its like going to the toilet and thinking to yourself should I just take a slash or try and whip out a poo lol....

your cash, but the LSA crate motor will give you a spare engine to on-sell or do up to handle ALL THE KILLA WASPS... where as chuckin on the harrop or Magnuson supercharger... get the tune wrong and your out a few thou anyway ..

my opinion, feel free to bag it ;)

christov

RFFN RFFR
Reaction score
Members Ride
Interesting, aside from the poll results (from a whopping 4 votes) I am leaning towards swapping out to an LSA. I saw my mechanic tonight for something unrelated and got to talking, he also thinks it's a better option than supercharging my motor.

ievaq8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 MAN SS UTE
I got a Paxton/novi 1220 side mount charger available with only 5000kms on it for cheap...
I was quoted around 900 for the bracket and pulley from capa, the rest was either with or without cooler and depending on how much boost u wanted to run if u wanted to upgrade injectors...

pm me If ur interested in the charger alone

christov

RFFN RFFR
Reaction score
Members Ride
I got a Paxton/novi 1220 side mount charger available with only 5000kms on it for cheap...
I was quoted around 900 for the bracket and pulley from capa, the rest was either with or without cooler and depending on how much boost u wanted to run if u wanted to upgrade injectors...

pm me If ur interested in the charger alone

Thanks but not interested.

The LSAs are a already a little stretched for power. Theyre a small blower.

So keep that in mind. If you were to be doing nothinn else to the L77, then its probably about a 50/50 toss up.

Take the brand new crate.

Yeh no other plans at this stage, 400 at the treads will satisfy me hopefully! Will need to look into ECU and wiring etc for the LSA for now as I'm thinking that's probably my best option. I've seen C&A making high 300s with a bit more boost and bolt ons that I already have.

Plus I can get my engine removed and the LSA fitted and installed by my mechanic for free (if I give him my L77), seems like a pretty good deal to me. Just have to pay for a towie to take it to the workshop for tuning and run in!