Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Top Gun coils

b0tch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SV6 Sportwagon
Hey all

I am needing a new coil for my L67 Calais....not sure which one so I am going to replace all three.

Got a price from Repco for $54 each. It's a price I can deal with. I then called Autobarn, and they can get the same ones as Repco, or alternatively get Top Gun ones for $30 each.

Basically, are Top Gun coils any good? Has anyone used them/got them? I've used their leads on previous cars, but never coils.

If it matters, it's a standard L67, no mods.

Cheers

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
GM are the best, after markets can fail quicker. Delphi make the coils and can be found quite cheap. I replaced all 3 and the DFI module for $180 as showed in the above link. Been great for 3 years.

b0tch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SV6 Sportwagon
I understand that genuine would be best, but at $180 per coil, it's not an option I want to take.

The one in the top link states it's not genuine, so I would guess the ones sold in a shop would be half decent.

I still want to know whether the Top Gun ones are any good, or whether I just buy the ones in the stores.

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
During our 10 year overhaul we replaced the coils and the module assemble with the Delphi ones and it starts first pop every time but them again it did that with the originals.

b0tch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SV6 Sportwagon
Cheers Lex....although the ad states $13 postage.

I know the DFI is good in my car, because when I swapped my coils for three known good ones off my brother in laws car, it ran the way it should.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Cheers Lex....although the ad states $13 postage.

I know the DFI is good in my car, because when I swapped my coils for three known good ones off my brother in laws car, it ran the way it should.

So you're buying the coils and you get the DFI module for free :)

Genuine has to be better than after market, this has been well proven with the OEM coils.

I bought a after market replacement coil from a local supplier, coil failed within a couple of months, when it failed it also killed the DFI module. I ended up buying new genuine Delphi DFI module and genuine coils which ran without fault for many more years and are now in the garage as the spare set for another car.