Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Torque settings for wheel nuts?

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
I also have a set of these impact rated sockets designed specifically for wheel nuts which work well and protect your wheel paint and the wheel nuts if anodized or chromed nuts etc.
https://www.bunnings.com.au/kincrome-4-piece-1-2-square-drive-wheel-nut-socket-set_p6110939

These impact rated sockets are essential if using a DIY impact wrench (such as the various automotive 12 volt models) to remove very tight wheel nuts which is a common problem. They fit your other half inch components in your socket set you might want to use like your extension bars. I also use these sockets with the torque wrench and a short extension bar to set the wheel nut torque.

No need to buy a whole set. Kincrome also have these available individually so if you want one you should be able to just buy the size or sizes you want by special order.

Capsule

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE Omega
110 Nm is a safe level of torque for on-road use.

Ah, the safety police is wrong!

So let me lecture you a bit like you always do (I've been sadistically waiting for that moment), you'll get a megamix of your usual useless answers:

- Your wheels being properly attached to the vehicle is a very important safety measure you know.
- Your vehicle won't be ADR compliant if your wheels fall off.
- Insurance won't be happy either.
- Maybe you should take it to a reputable mechanic to have your nuts tightened (all of them)
- Also, you will probably have to get your car inspected by RACQ or something like that, just to make sure your mechanic did a good job.

That's annoying, isn't it?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Ah, the safety police is wrong!

So let me lecture you a bit like you always do (I've been sadistically waiting for that moment), you'll get a megamix of your usual useless answers:

- Your wheels being properly attached to the vehicle is a very important safety measure you know.
- Your vehicle won't be ADR compliant if your wheels fall off.
- Insurance won't be happy either.
- Maybe you should take it to a reputable mechanic to have your nuts tightened (all of them)
- Also, you will probably have to get your car inspected by RACQ or something like that, just to make sure your mechanic did a good job.

That's annoying, isn't it?

And the worst people for just doing wheel nuts up with a rattle gun and not double checking them is mechanics.....(have a nosey in a few workshops and see what I'm on about)

Never seen a roadworthy fella check wheel nuts for a roadie, nor do ADR's come into the discussion...

Finally...RACQ, RAA, RACV and others I wouldn't trust with a pushbike....Seen plenty of their "approved" cars and "mechanics" to put me off them for life....

The best person to trust with wheel nut tightness, is the nut behind the wheel of the car.....That way, that nut can only blame themself for a wheel falling off...

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
Just couldn't help myself......

Some More ADR'S.png

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Wonder how many tyre shops actually torque up wheel nuts. I rekon holden would just zap them with a rattle gun too

A good quallity rattle gun can be torque set, not saying anyone is doing it but it is plausible.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Well, when it comes to Benboy, anything can come into the discussion, especially the ADR :)

Nice to kn
A good quallity rattle gun can be torque set, not saying anyone is doing it but it is plausible.

There are rattle guns and air ratchets out there, that have a pre-set torque, but the cost of them would be prohibitive to stores....Especially when workers abuse normal air tools, by dumping them where ever they want..