Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Touch up paint too thick

JoeRogan

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Evoke Sedan
I got a small tub of touch up paint when my whole car was resprayed for use on stone chips when/if I get them.

I've got one, and I need to use it, but the paint is very thick and I can't apply it properly.

How do I think it? Do I just add some thinners? What's the best method?

many thanks :D

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem
First of all is it metallic? Does it say basecoat on the tin? Seperate a bit don't just thin the whole lot or you might regret it! Just add a little bit at a time until your happy with the consistency.

If your just brushing in some chips I would just leave it thick otherwise it will run everywhere and not cover your chip properly.

If it's solid 2k you should put some hardener in it. Best not to reduce that much or at all either if you're brushing ^ same deal as above.

Don't brush in anything too big either. It looks rubbish. If your just brushing in some chips just find a nice fine brush and dab it on.

Edit: if it is a 2k solid don't add hardner to your whole batch. Seperate a little bit into a milk cap or something then put in a drop of hardner mix up and dab away!

Last edited:

JoeRogan

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Evoke Sedan
Nope nothing on the bottle at all. It's not metallic.

The brush in the bottle is big. Maybe I should get a finer brush and use that.

Is layers recommended? To fill up the chip hole or just once enough?

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Have you considered using a toothpick and then gradually building up the layers if required?

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
To really chase the best you can out of touch up like that, you need to over fill the chip a little so that when it shrinks, it still sits just proud of the surface. Knock it back with some 2000 grit and polish it out. Still won't be perfect, but it will be flush. The thicker paint helps it sit up in the chip as it dries. Too thin and it will sag and bleed