Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Touring Tyre Recommendations

zappaboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 Sportswagon, Motorsport Auto VE Ute
I am seeking recommendations on a touring tyre for my Calais V Series 1 Wagon. My normal drive is on country Sealed Class B/C roads at speeds 100-120km/h for 95% of the time. So my priority with the tyre is 1. quietness, 2. Wet weather performance, 3. Wear. I found that OEM Bridgestone Turanza excellent but they are hard to get and in recent times have used Kumho Ecsta PA51 which have been ok but wanting to try something better. Any suggestions/recommendations much appreciated.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
I’ve put Pirelli dragon sports on the front of the SSV 6 months ago. Seems to perform pretty well and has good manners in wet weather.

My trip to work sometimes involves standing water at highway speeds if it’s raining heavily and it doesn’t feel skittish when it hits standing water or like it’s going to aquaplane at normal highway speeds of 100kph. Cant really advise on wear or tyre life as I’ve only had them on for 6 months.

petern64

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss 6lt , 2017 Mustang GT , 2021 BT50 SP
hands down Michelin PS4 , got them on my VZ SS and Mustang , another good tyre is the Goodyear Eagle F1's which I have used too

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Budget?

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I'll second the Pirelli Dragon Sports.

Mine are over 50k kms now (VE SSV Z) and getting close to needing replacement. Noise level a bit higher now but they have been good in all respects.

EDIT: Just over 60k kms.

Last edited:

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
hands down Michelin PS4 , got them on my VZ SS and Mustang , another good tyre is the Goodyear Eagle F1's which I have used too
PS4 might be available cheaply with the PS5 now being out.

I’ve always been met by disappoinment with anything-Eagle installed …

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Goodyear eagles are directional, which quite often leads to noisyness.

Michelin have always been a quality brand...

Kumho have a sports orientated tyre which is the PS 71....It's the step up from the PA 51 you have tried

Pirelli seemed to have dropped off in quality over the past few years

Toyo....Over priced for what they are.

Dunlop....Been rubbish for years and haven't improved.

Contis...Many people have complained they don't get mileage especially for the price they are.

Yokies seem to have dropped out of the public eye over the past few years...So hard to judge those....

Hope this gives a little insite on how things on the tyre front have been progressing in the industry recently

Strattos

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII SS
I'm trying Bridgestone REO03s atm and really happy with them so far. Can't talk to longevity as only done 10k on them, but if you can pick them up for a buy-three-get-one-free deal which come up quite often (how I bought mine) they're good value. So far nice and quiet and better grip than what they come out with. Can't talk for wet weather as we don't get a lot where I am.

Less important, but something I've noticed is they tend to look a bit wider on the rim than some other brands. Pic attached.

Attachments

• New tyres.jpg
    New tyres.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 98

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
I'm trying Bridgestone REO03s atm and really happy with them so far. Can't talk to longevity as only done 10k on them, but if you can pick them up for a buy-three-get-one-free deal which come up quite often (how I bought mine) they're good value. So far nice and quiet and better grip than what they come out with. Can't talk for wet weather as we don't get a lot where I am.

Less important, but something I've noticed is they tend to look a bit wider on the rim than some other brands. Pic attached.
Cant ever bring myself to do the buy three get one free thing. Only two tyres are ever worn at one time and in need of replacement. I’d have to give up two tyres that still have a decent service life left in them!

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Cant ever bring myself to do the buy three get one free thing. Only two tyres are ever worn at one time and in need of replacement. I’d have to give up two tyres that still have a decent service life left in them!

Need to rotate your tyres more often.