Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Towing 1.25T boat across the Nullabor ... aftermarket oil cooler?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
WA Prem is one of the most popular Premieres this state has ever seen.

His response to Covid has seen a resurgence in support for succession.

I work with the public and have not heard a single person in all the months who hasn’t been in support for the hard border. Not one.

Having relatives over east, it’s amazing to hear how negative WA is portrayed verses how it is here.

Moph

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V wagon
I mostly support the border measures but:

1. the G2G process and app are a joke (seriously);
  2. continued reference to "the health advice" without ever actually letting us see it or the CHO talk to us is ridiculous;
  3. the requirement that people in quarantine continue quarantining when borders are opened with the state in question is non-sensical and undermines public confidence in the "health advice"; and
  4. testing issues when the NSW border was locked and all NSW visitors in WA were required to get tested raise questions about our ability to cope with an outbreak.

Makes me worried that we're relying too heavily on border controls and may struggle to contain an outbreak. I have more confidence in SA given the way they smashed the Woodville outbreak.

Moph

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V wagon
yeah, it will be a great moment when Saint Mark closes the border when you are an hour away

That was actually a concern. We all drove over together but I flew the wife and kids back so I could drive straight through on the return trip. Dropped the family at the airport at 11am ACDT and made it to the border by 11pm AWST so that I'd be in the state the same day in case anything changed.

Seems border control mainly just relies on news reports anyway - they're quicker to report changes than formal lines of communication, apparently.

Terry57

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Wagon
Factory service on trans is listed at 150,000km or if required
Bolliks to that lot, considering the cost of the gear box versus a gear box service i would say the smart money is on getting it done around 80000 KLM if its being driven normally. Im towing mostly so im doing it every 40000 KLM.

Reactions: Lex

Terry57

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Wagon
This is so very, very true ... and it’s why I cling to the guy I’m currently using for grim life.
Also why I use him rather than a dealer, including within warranty etc, even though he’s a 45-minute drive away & the commute to work goes from half an hour to 1.75 hours each way when he works on it ...
Yep, exactly what i have experienced and has taken me 9 months to sort out existing issues. Funny though it took a Holden dealership mechanic in Innisfail NQ to sort them out and on top of that Holden Innisfail only charge 110 buks an hour. My VF has been brilliant but the so called professionals who have wrenched on it have done sub standard work. Unfortunately when one is away from valued contacts we have no choice concerning sourcing trusted workers. It's maddening.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lex

Terry57

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Wagon
Just to complete the thread - had a new 1700kg ATM single axle trailer built in WA, towed it across, loaded the boat on and towed it back. Tare weight 500kg on the way over and loaded weight ~1.3T on the way back. Removed the windscreen to keep windage to a minimum.

Monitored temps with Torq and saw a maximum ATF temp of 96°C in ambient of 34°C going through hills at 110kph. Most of the time it sat around 82-86°C on the open road with mid-30s ambients. No issues at all with the stock cooler.

Engine coolant temps were 81-86° and engine oil temp 98-104°C; the vast majority of the time was at the lower end of those ranges with the higher end being through sustained hills. Temps may have dropped lower at night but I wasn't really monitoring then.

I used cruise the whole way - 100kph in WA and 110kph in SA. Economy with the 3.6L V6 was:

Trailer only: 10.8L/100km @ 100kph; 12.2L/100km @ 110kph
Loaded: 12.0L/100km @ 100kph; 13.5L/100km @ 110kph

No attempt made at economy driving - I'd just hit cruise resume at town boundaries and tap the brake coming into the next town.
Some nice figures there mate. My VF Evoke 3 ltre is doing 13 L/100 Klm @ 90 KPH over 23000 KLM'S. Also use cruise control the vast majority of time. It has been brilliant. Over the last 10 months i've only seen 2 VF'S towing vans. Most punters kitted out with big 4 wheel drives. Im on a road trip and this VF has been superb. Tad low at the front thou, one needs to well aware of this issue.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
WA Prem is one of the most popular Premieres this state has ever seen.

His response to Covid has seen a resurgence in support for succession.

I work with the public and have not heard a single person in all the months who hasn’t been in support for the hard border. Not one.

Having relatives over east, it’s amazing to hear how negative WA is portrayed verses how it is here.

as someone with WA rellies and who lives "over east" i don't know a single person who is negative toward WA's border stance - or did you imagine this?

this occasional "succession" talk is some of the dumbest **** I've ever heard in my life.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
News papers and media are not painting the WA Premiere in a positive light at over the measures he has taken that has kept us out of the poo so far.

Family and friends now over east also say how WA has been portrayed in all of this.

As for susession talk, here’s two sources (the west is for subscribers but shows it has made the news)
https://thewest.com.au/politics/sta...-on-wa-forming-its-own-country-ng-b881687464z

https://www.news.com.au/finance/wor...g/news-story/c208f2e54f32c1984fb4bce00d49b31b

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-11...alp-focus-on-mark-mcgowan-popularity/12903860

Support rating for current state policy around borders:
https://thewest.com.au/politics/mar...port-for-was-hard-border-grows-ng-b881656388z

Doesn’t take much to find negative messages from Eastern states media.
The Australian is a start
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/na...s/news-story/06eb6d7c1a51e6e2318b171d3670317b

I’m out now though. It’s Facebook like discussions that are why I don’t have a Facebook account.