Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Towing with Bone Stock VE 6.0L L76 Engine w/ 6L80 Auto Transmission

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
That's true up to the last sentence. Being lighter means they have less traction and are more easily pushed around by a heavy trailer, which could cause the car to loose control.
A Cruze is lighter than a commodore, does that mean it is better for towing?

seasmi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Sportwagon
Your statement above in bold is wrong. You can tow up to the plated capacity of the car and or tow bar package. So a commodore with a 2100kg towbar can legally tow 2100kg. A commodore with a 1600kg rated towbar can only tow 1600kg.
Yes the trailer needs to have break away brakes and brakes on all wheels if over 1999kg.

Whether you should or should not is up to the individual, I have done several thousand km towing my boat with aussie six sedans and they do a great job. The proviso is that the trailer and tow car need to be set up properly - you need to know what you are doing.
But the same goes for towing with mini trucks or 4WD's. The total package needs to be set up well.
Your average aussie sedan has a longer wheelbase and a lower centre of gravity than a 4WD, which actually makes them good for towing. They are also lighter, so if you need them too, they will stop quicker, it's simple physics.

Spot on. We've towed our 2070 kg tandem Jayco van for around 40,000 k's around Australia with our SS sportwagon averaging 16.4 L/100 and its done it beautifully. Setup properly with a Load distribution hitch is as stable as anything out there in any conditions. We're off again next year for another jaunt. A great machine to tow with.

bkvyss

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ss sportwagon
If your towing anything bigger than a 6x4 trailer id invest in the deep pan trans kit. Still waiting for mine to arrive but everyone tells me its the ducks guts for the 6 sp auto.

XUV

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV XUV & Raised Cross 8 Trayback
Plus these cars have EBD-Electronic Brake-Force Distribution (well my XUV does) and ESC/ESP-Stability Control ,so prevents a tank slapper .

Just load your trailer properly, not too much on the tow ball, specially with the IRS diff , and you'll be fine towing what your cars rated to tow.

phillmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Sportswagon 2011
If the load is near the car weight it will never do it easy or be comfortable for long Hwy runs with hills, that's why most trade up to Cruisers and such. They do it easy,although one monster we hooked up sent us to buy a stabeliser kit for the 100 series. The electronic brake adjuster is the go also. Don't forget the tow ball weight can also bring you undone now days. I hate towing something that feels like it is towing you and trailer sway is no fun at all when it starts pulling the car to the wrong side of the road.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Regardless of what vehicle you're towing with the trailer needs to be loaded properly. To much weight on the tow ball will make the tow vehicle difficult and dangerous to drive.

seasmi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Sportwagon
If the load is near the car weight it will never do it easy or be comfortable for long Hwy runs with hills, that's why most trade up to Cruisers and such. They do it easy,although one monster we hooked up sent us to buy a stabeliser kit for the 100 series. The electronic brake adjuster is the go also. Don't forget the tow ball weight can also bring you undone now days. I hate towing something that feels like it is towing you and trailer sway is no fun at all when it starts pulling the car to the wrong side of the road.
The V6 may not do it easy but I can assure you the SS does it very easy with better fuel economy than a Toyota. We leave our Toyota home due to better comfort in the VE especially leg room for me being 6'5'.
Its also very stable with never a hint of instability from passing road trains/cross winds or anything else. As has been said already, regardless what you tow with its imperative to have your weight distributed properly using both
a weight distribution hitch and loading the van correctly. A tandem is the better unit for that also and more stable. Of course if you want to go off road on your trip then a 4X4 is the best option.

Bhp Steel

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
holden
Plus these cars have EBD-Electronic Brake-Force Distribution (well my XUV does) and ESC/ESP-Stability Control ,so prevents a tank slapper .

Just load your trailer properly, not too much on the tow ball, specially with the IRS diff , and you'll be fine towing what your cars rated to tow.

I would of thought that you would of placed a reasonable amount of weight on the tow ball for stability....I have seen the grey nomads with the backend of the vehicle
in the air and the front of the caravan in the air....not responsible towing in my opinion!

Again you see these farmers....who have no idea in the fire season with their Toyota Tray backs loaded with a tank of water and pump....with the front wheels hardly touching the ground...not responsible driving!

Bhp Steel

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
holden
You can legally tow 1.5 X the weight of your tow vehicle with a braked trailer provided the towbar and the car is rated enough.

3.0L SIDI V6...Max.Towing with Auto 1600Kgs. ( Optional with upgraded cooling package.)
3.6L SIDI V6, 3.6L LPG V6 & 8.0L.V8 Max.Towing with Auto 2100Kgs......Max.Towing with Manual ( Petrol only ) Transmission 1600Kgs.
Max. towing speed for all 100Kmh.

Straight from the Horse's Mouth ( GMH )

Please no arguments.....if you wish to see Santa Clause this Xmas....and in the future become a Nomad!........Take care.