Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Towing with your Alloytec auto...

BullittSV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Commodore SV6
Hi all, so today I've been towing a trailer from Whyalla to Adelaide (380 kms) with the return trip tomorrow. Its not just any trailer. Its a 10' x 5' coates furniture trailer. One hell of a bohemoth! Its coupled up to my 1600kg tow bar.

Now being a fully enclosed furniture trailer, its damn high. Around town at 60 or 80, the alloytec has enough grunt down low to shift it. But the highway driving has exposed a real shortcoming. Accelerate in 3rd (4000rpm), cruise in 4th (2500rpm), don't even try to go in 5th it WILL slow down. Admittedly this is the first time I've towed at highway speeds (100km/h is the limit for the Holden tow bar so I'm sticking to that)

I started off in D but when I first got to 100km/h the gearbox wouldn't settle, changing between 3rd and 4th. In the end I turned active select on and held the gear in 4th and after 10 minutes tried D again and it held fine.

Now normally cruising unloaded in 5th I average under 10L/100km and get a good 700 kms out of a tank. But today I averaged a whopping 22L/100km, giving me less than half the range I normally get. If I had a V8 would the difference be the same?

Having said that the cooling system held up fine, it did actually move above the 2nd lowest notch for the first time in the 18 months I've owned this car. But I was really shocked with the fuel consumption.

sv6_06

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ MY06 SV6
The wind resistance would be horrific, i'd just leave the tranny in 4th the whole trip as alloytecs need to rev a bit to make good power.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Hi all, so today I've been towing a trailer from Whyalla to Adelaide (380 kms) with the return trip tomorrow. Its not just any trailer. Its a 10' x 5' coates furniture trailer. One hell of a bohemoth! Its coupled up to my 1600kg tow bar.

Now being a fully enclosed furniture trailer, its damn high. Around town at 60 or 80, the alloytec has enough grunt down low to shift it. But the highway driving has exposed a real shortcoming. Accelerate in 3rd (4000rpm), cruise in 4th (2500rpm), don't even try to go in 5th it WILL slow down. Admittedly this is the first time I've towed at highway speeds (100km/h is the limit for the Holden tow bar so I'm sticking to that)

I started off in D but when I first got to 100km/h the gearbox wouldn't settle, changing between 3rd and 4th. In the end I turned active select on and held the gear in 4th and after 10 minutes tried D again and it held fine.

Now normally cruising unloaded in 5th I average under 10L/100km and get a good 700 kms out of a tank. But today I averaged a whopping 22L/100km, giving me less than half the range I normally get. If I had a V8 would the difference be the same?

Having said that the cooling system held up fine, it did actually move above the 2nd lowest notch for the first time in the 18 months I've owned this car. But I was really shocked with the fuel consumption.

V8 would have been slighly less. I have travelled all over the country towing double decker boat trailers which has similar aerodynamics and at 100km/h I get around 19 l/100 whilst at 110 I get around 20-21 depending on the wind. Below is a pic - that rig was around 900kgs and like a huge parachute behind the car. Pic taken around 100km from the WA boarder on the Nullabor.

Reaper

AustBite.jpg

Last edited:

BullittSV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Commodore SV6
So just got back, trailer fully loaded, was heading north with a strong northerly headwind, could only stay in 4th below 85km/h, got up to 95 behind roadtrains. Fuel consumption went up to 27L/100km.

The last 45 minutes was south, had a tail wind and sat on 100km/h in 4th like yesterday. Fuel consumption went down to 24.8L/100km.

Damn the headwind! Ahh well, should have just got a cage trailer... in any case for serious towing in the future, I'll be using a V8 thanks.

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
the Adventra holds up well, although I guess its also designed for towing and why we bought it. The box jumps around a bit going uphill with the half cabin boat in tow but overall not bad.

That said the fuel consumption sits about 16->18 litres, we've never had it past 20 litres per 100 with the boat on, but it may be the AWD helping get the power down a bit better so i dunno if i can relaly compare it.

bigdaddycool

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS SILVER SEDAN
depends on the load.......... last time i towed something around 1900kg.......... it used bout that 22ltr per 100......... that was stock standard on a 4 speed....... be interesting to see what mine would use now tuned with alot more torque at disposal.

cant expect much when towing tho fuel economy wise :D

baracuda

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
doesnt matter on the car or what you towing. even me olds brand new navara towing a 28 foot caravan still not allowed to use 5th gear (override) as it will hurt the auto and drivetrain.so in the SV6 woudnt hit the top gear either.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
hmm seems the gear ratios are a little outa whcak on the 5sp for towing, ideally youll probably get best economy around 3,000rpm, when towing like that,

i know on the flat, and slightest down hill coast mine was getting between 12-18L 100km towing a horse flat with a max load of 2 tonne,

also, when you tow dont allow it to shift into overdrive, keep it in 3rd for the 4sp and 4th for the 5sp, cause it will destroy your gearbox lol

HARVZ-6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT spac super6
its common knowledge to not tow in overdrive...

especially in an auto...

eventualy kills em

just stick to 4th a little higher rev is better than twice the drive train load (Y)

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450