Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Track day Ks too low. 1200k

Colonel161

Reaction score
Members Ride
Director
I've seen this twice on here, tyre pressure increases heaps with heap and you don't want to go out on 40psi. I've gone out on 32psi and come back in on 42psi. If you use 40psi cold you will get next to no grip when hot.

OP: car will be fine with 1200km.
Thanks guys, so 2 different opinions on TP, maybe go onto the track around 34-35 and monitor ? as I mentioned I’ll be easing into it and it may take a bit to get heat and TP up but by no means will I be going too slow, I have had a number of decent V8s across 40 years( yes, I’m getting on a tad ) but not to scared to have a bit of a crack, although I’ve never been on a track. I have MRC on the car, what’s the best option there ? will track mode give me any protection against over steer ?

Colonel161

Reaction score
Members Ride
Director
It should have had 2 oil changes then. Only 1200Ks?
Tyres are probably starting to harden with age, might as well scrub 'em out on the track, and get a fresh set.
Hi Imoengnr, yeah I know, 1200ks is very low for a car I have now had nearly 2 years, it was one of the last off the line and I took new delivery mid Oct 17. Work, travel and just life got in the way and the fact it’s been wrapped up and not easy to get out and about, but when I have taken it for a spin to get everything lubricated and moving it loves this COLD Tas air let me tell you, now my circumstances have changed I plan to enjoy my car, it’s a keeper and I’m sure I’ll put a lot more ks on it in the next few years vs the last

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Start off with 36 psi, you can always go down pressure easily but going up requires a tyre pump. You will find that track driving is completely different to road driving. You either have your foot 100% on the accelerator or 100% on the brakes with very little in between. Takes a bit of time to get used to it, but very enjoyable once you have. If you haven't installed quality brake fluid and pads, you will probably only be able to go flat out for 2-3 laps before you need to slow down and do a couple of cool down laps. I raced many hundreds of laps in my VS 355 Calais over a number of years, mainly with the Murcott High Performance days at Sandown Raceway. You will have a ball.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
If your MRC has a track setting, when you get on the track i would be using it! Excessive body roll and understeer is your worst enemy out there. At least if you get oversteer you can back off a bit. Working out and staying on the racing line will make more difference than anything else though. My first track day, with some guys on here a few years ago now was a complete disaster line wise.
Have a watch of some videos of race instructions on YouTube. There's quite a few on there from Adrenaline V8 experience sessions at Eastern Creek and other circuits.

Mattricho

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV my15
Im pretty sure track mode disables all the nanny’s so it’s all up to you to correct over/under steer.

Colonel161

Reaction score
Members Ride
Director
Start off with 36 psi, you can always go down pressure easily but going up requires a tyre pump. You will find that track driving is completely different to road driving. You either have your foot 100% on the accelerator or 100% on the brakes with very little in between. Takes a bit of time to get used to it, but very enjoyable once you have. If you haven't installed quality brake fluid and pads, you will probably only be able to go flat out for 2-3 laps before you need to slow down and do a couple of cool down laps. I raced many hundreds of laps in my VS 355 Calais over a number of years, mainly with the Murcott High Performance days at Sandown Raceway. You will have a ball.
Thanks mate, good advice, it does have factory fitted Brembos all round and factory brake fluids, given I hopefully will continue to do track days I guess I’ll learn how much fade I get with what I’ve got and make the adjustments or changes I need to, But like you I have no doubt I’ll enjoy it and learn as I go.

Colonel161

Reaction score
Members Ride
Director
Im pretty sure track mode disables all the nanny’s so it’s all up to you to correct over/under steer.
Yeah, I suspected as much, just wasn’t sure if it ( track mode ) completely shut the lot down, like anything I’ll learn, my car control is ok, ish ? IMO , but that’s the fun I guess, with some knowledge and patience I’ll find my way around the track, Simmons plains is a great little circuit with plenty going on to keep me busy and on my toes or pedals at least

Colonel161

Reaction score
Members Ride
Director
If your MRC has a track setting, when you get on the track i would be using it! Excessive body roll and understeer is your worst enemy out there. At least if you get oversteer you can back off a bit. Working out and staying on the racing line will make more difference than anything else though. My first track day, with some guys on here a few years ago now was a complete disaster line wise.
Have a watch of some videos of race instructions on YouTube. There's quite a few on there from Adrenaline V8 experience sessions at Eastern Creek and other circuits.
Thanks Greenacc, You tube is a great idea, My Track day is at Simmons plains, hopefully I can get a few heads up, but yeah, the 1st few days may well be a disaster as well, But I’m a patient man, and TBH it’s not so much about time and having the perfect lap, more about enjoying what is a such a great car, 2017 VF Holden commodore V8 in a safe environment, what’s not to love, should have done this years ago.

Redline 2017

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VF 2 SSV REDLINE
Thanks guys, so 2 different opinions on TP, maybe go onto the track around 34-35 and monitor ? as I mentioned I’ll be easing into it and it may take a bit to get heat and TP up but by no means will I be going too slow, I have had a number of decent V8s across 40 years( yes, I’m getting on a tad ) but not to scared to have a bit of a crack, although I’ve never been on a track. I have MRC on the car, what’s the best option there ? will track mode give me any protection against over steer ?
I'm my experience the RE050as like being warm, not hot. If keep my starting temps a couple of psi lower than the factory recommendation, they will heat up after a lap and be okay.

[paradox]

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV-R
it does have factory fitted Brembos all round and factory brake fluids, given I hopefully will continue to do track days
if you do start doing a few days, consider getting a track set of pads, being brembo calipers, they are only 2 pins to change over
and the obvious thing of do not put your handbrake on when you get off the track.