Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Traction Control

PaulSV6

CHE Tuned 156.8rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6, MY10 VE SV6 Sportswagon & MY03 XC SRI
With mine, while ur driving, go to turn the T/C off, park the car, go to do something, come back. The T/C will be on when u turn the car back on.
I agree there is a smoother ride with it off, tats cause the car doesnt lurch when give it some stick.

drippy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S pack & VP ute
does anyone know of a way to have it off by default? instead of always having to press the button after you start?

gravel roads are a pain with it, out the driveway every morning and it kicks in :(

taztassio

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S L67
I still get my car sideways in the wet, i try not to. It reduces power the wheel that doesn't have traction & applies it to the one that does.
What i found if i was to turn left or right out of a street & gave it some stick, i can feel the back end step out but also feel the car lurch abit aswell & the whole car would become strait again.

incorrect, it just reduces throttle.

it cant change sides that it gives power to. it isnt an air locker.

Its POS, its more dangerous if you start pumping a bit of power through the rear, and it singles/doubles and doesnt work, can make your rear end go strange

PaulSV6

CHE Tuned 156.8rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6, MY10 VE SV6 Sportswagon & MY03 XC SRI
incorrect, it just reduces throttle.

it cant change sides that it gives power to. it isnt an air locker.

Its POS, its more dangerous if you start pumping a bit of power through the rear, and it singles/doubles and doesnt work, can make your rear end go strange

Yeah, if u reduce throttle then u reduce the power, same thing!!

Ive lost u there! Ur car must do wired things then, cause mine doesnt do that.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I think you will find that Traction Control works as an adjunct to ABS. It doesn't control the throttle, it controls the brakes to the rear wheels. As soon as the ABS sensor detects one axle starting to spin and lose traction, TC applies a braking force to that wheel to bring the wheelspin back under control. The force applied is extremely quick and much less than you would apply yourself, but it happens so quickly that the spin is controlled without the wheel locking up. Also,it isn't a constant pressure, it flucutates on and off, extremely quickly, again, faster than you could do yourself with the brake pedal.

taztassio

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S L67
nah it doesnt control brakes.

its loss of throttle.

cut your rear lines and you discover!

also, thats coz i am pumping 160rwkw thru a single and a shift kitted auto that gives the diff hell, so it doesnt cope well

wingwang99

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Voodoo Sv6
^^^^ Second that, it works on throttle.

When i run my lpg trac control is always off and can't be used as the lpg is injected using a different system

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
OK, to clear things up:

Traction control intervention operates in three stages; engine spark retard, throttle angle reduction, and rear brake application.

The first is less noticeable; with only a power sag from the engine being felt as the ABS/ETC control module requests the PCM to retard the engine spark as appropriate.
If the ABS/ETC control module continues to detect the rear wheels are rotating faster than the front, it will request the throttle relaxer control module to reduce the throttle angle.
The final step taken to control the rear wheel is for the ABS/ETC control module to apply the rear brakes, thus reducing the torque to the rear wheels.

ABS and Electronic Traction Control are the same system just doing different jobs. One protects from brake lock up, the other one stops the wheels spinning. Each wheel has a speed sensor to give the system all this info.

This information is for VTs onwards straight from Holden.

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
soop, i guarnatee you it does. Get a Holden technician to explain it to you. But that paragraph in my above statement tells you the EXACT steps that are programmed into the vehicle. That is from the Holden manual, unless your trying to tell me Holden doesn't know what they did to their own vehicles? That's what was in the VT's onwards.... i can only gurantee its valid for up to the VYs (inclusive). Not sure if the VZ's are the same, i'd have to check that.