Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Traction in the wet

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
ive got a set of 235/45/17 gemstones on the vs, they grip well both wet and dry, alot better than the bald savas, and i run maddison 215/65/14 (never heard of them before) on my old girl, dry they're fine but damn do they slide in the wet, they were cheap when needed, even cut costs by fitting them myself, $120 all up, and they last, I just adjust my driving in the wet, so it don't slide or spin.
But value for money, you can't go past the khumos bridgestones firestone and toyo, for high profile stuff anyway. Bridgestone eager sf340s are the pick but you'll be lucky to find them I think they're discontinued.

How do you adjust driving in the wet should an emergency braking situation arise? They last because the compound is so hard which also means they have very poor traction.

End of the day you get what you pay for, cheap tyres = crap tyres.

Hunter SS

Growing Old Disgracefully
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS
My old man has those tyers in that pic there rubbish in the wet.

yep.... hence the reason why i take it easy when wet. i have had worse. Getting some 20's for it shortly, with decent rubber on them!

iUte

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute 328RWkW 3.9 LSD Rip Shifter
Seeing the topic is on tyres, I have a dozen 15 x 225 bob jane all rounders still brand new in my garage. I don't know what they will fit these days really, what would they be worth, if anything at all?

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Seeing the topic is on tyres, I have a dozen 15 x 225 bob jane all rounders still brand new in my garage. I don't know what they will fit these days really, what would they be worth, if anything at all?

Aged Tyres

Doesnt matter if they new, how old are they? If more then 5 years old personally i wouldnt touch em.

iUte

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute 328RWkW 3.9 LSD Rip Shifter
yeah they are probably 3-4 years old, I might just chuck them! They take up spcae.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat

Good for burnout tyres. Wouldn't touch them for daily driving though.

kingswood country

Reaction score
Members Ride
hj kingswood
ive got a set of 235/45/17 gemstones on the vs, they grip well both wet and dry, alot better than the bald savas, and i run maddison 215/65/14 (never heard of them before) on my old girl, dry they're fine but damn do they slide in the wet, they were cheap when needed, even cut costs by fitting them myself, $120 all up, and they last, I just adjust my driving in the wet, so it don't slide or spin.
But value for money, you can't go past the khumos bridgestones firestone and toyo, for high profile stuff anyway. Bridgestone eager sf340s are the pick but you'll be lucky to find them I think they're discontinued.

How do you adjust driving in the wet should an emergency braking situation arise? They last because the compound is so hard which also means they have very poor traction.

End of the day you get what you pay for, cheap tyres = crap tyres.

I agree, you gotta spend to get decent Tyres, I jus avoid driving in the wet or in traffic, as for stopping they're not too bad, they actually stop better than the bfg's I had. Though they're 3 sizes smaller, less chance of aqua planing I guess.

I drive slower than posted in residential and industrial areas anyway, and on a highway I sit back a bit and give myself some room so if something does happen, I've more time to avoid it., especially in the wet,

itsArthurKomar

sexy beast
Reaction score
Members Ride
super awesome time machine
i was gonna say "what tracktion in the wet" lol no matter what tires i have on the rear i either spin the wheels or slide... ( not hooning so dont even boil the kettle)

aaronevolution

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
TURISMO VZ SS 6.0
I agree, you gotta spend to get decent Tyres, I jus avoid driving in the wet or in traffic, as for stopping they're not too bad, they actually stop better than the bfg's I had. Though they're 3 sizes smaller, less chance of aqua planing I guess.

I drive slower than posted in residential and industrial areas anyway, and on a highway I sit back a bit and give myself some room so if something does happen, I've more time to avoid it., especially in the wet,

There is no need to drive slower than the speed limit. If your not confident enough to do the speed limit, either get some lessons, or stop driving.

kingswood country

Reaction score
Members Ride
hj kingswood

There is no need to drive slower than the speed limit. If your not confident enough to do the speed limit, either get some lessons, or stop driving.

I'm confident in my driving, no one else's, and the fact I've nearly hi 2 kids running after balls.