Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Traction in the wet

brad VE SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SSV redline wagon
I have Bridgestone potenzas on my v8 and it barely spins in the wet.. But with traction Controll you wouldnt slip too much anyway, I can go full boot around a corner in the wet and it will not slide much or excessively spin..
Could not see how you'd loose controll

Pickle'

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Yep yep

If 'have' to go cheap, Rotella is ok, Federal 595s are ok at first but after a period of time become below average and noisy

Gemstone, Ling Lang and Triangles, avoid completely

595s are no cheaper than the FK452s or KU31s, i went out and bought my last set as 595s after alot of people saying how great they were. They are not something i would recommend after driving on FK452s. When i need more ill be going back for the 452s.

I noticed the 595s to be noisy after about 5000 on them.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
I haven't noticed a noise problem with my 595's but they are slippery in the wet, grip pretty well in the dry. I was going to go KU31 next but only one of my rear's was down (other was still more than 50% because it got replaced due to a screw) so I had to get another 595. I don't like how rounded the sidewall/shoulder of them looks compared to my front KU31's.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Funny considering there usually made in the same factory as the big named tyre companies. Hm.

Being made in the same factory doesnt mean they use the same quality compounds.

ivabiggen

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz Executive
GET a 175 v6 vz and you wll have no problems loosing traction.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
I paid $240 a tyre for 452s, mainly because I didn't have the time to shop around - if you do, it's worth it. As said, you can pick them up cheap. I did get one quote for KU31s at $135 each in 245/45/18 - that is a bargain - they're a very good tyre. I had them before the 452s. They don't last that long thanks to the soft compound but they do grip well, wet or dry - and at that price, they're hard to go past. Having said that, the 452s are a step up again in terms of wet grip. I do find them significantly stickier in the wet than the OE bridgestones and, by the looks of things, they'll last longer. My OE tyres were done and dusted by 16-17,000km. KU31s made it to around 25,000km travelled - the 452s are sitting pretty on around 16,000 so far - well over 50% left at a glance, and they've probably had a harder life than the other sets so far.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
...My OE tyres were done and dusted by 16-17,000km. KU31s made it to around 25,000km travelled - the 452s are sitting pretty on around 16,000 so far - well over 50% left at a glance, and they've probably had a harder life than the other sets so far.
Just as a comparison my Federal 595s lasted 35,000km... Which was surprising considering how they were treated. They must be fairly hard in comparison to the one's you listed.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Not sure - I've not had Federals but it sounds like it. Having said that, the 452s are holding up better than the KU31s I had but FEEL like a softer compound.

For the record, I wouldn't touch any other Falken tyre - have had a couple and they were all crap, which is why I was a little hesitant to try the 452s - but they really are excellent. All the other Falkens I've driven on have been very hard compounds, to the point of being treacherous. Similar story with the KU31s actually - they were the first kumho tyre I owned, but have since driven on a number of different ones, all of them have been rubbish - but the KU31s stick really nicely - they are a very soft compound - even the sidewall is a touch splashy, which is the only gripe I had about them - not much of a gripe though. Toyo is the same also - Proxes are fantastic - everything else is garbage. So you really can't buy with brand.

Nuddy989

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
just do what i did and put some 20 by 275's on the back with bridgestone potenzas.

hahahhahah yet i still loose traction without clutch kicking ;)