Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Trailing arm bushes

redvs2

Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor charged Vs, VY ss ute, rodeo daily
Hey guys I need to replace my trailing arm bushes. Just wondering how hard this is to get the old bushes out and the new ones in? Also I'm getting a 22mm adjustable whiteline sway bar. I'm pretty sure i still have the standard link pins. Do you have to upgrade the link pins for the sway bar? Thanks

Krisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
D22 St-r Navara
just find remanufactured ones, the bushes can be a down right whore to remove and put in yourself

SLE-883

Reaction score
Members Ride
1981 VH Commodore SL/E
Is this for the rear upper trailing arms?

If so, just buy a set of these http://www.mcdonaldbrosracing.com.au/images/uptrail1.jpg

That's what I did.

as for the lower arms, I bought a new set of arms with nolethane bushes already installed and am going to get a suspension place to change over the bushes in the axel.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
The trailing arm front bushes are fitted into the actual arms,but the rear ones stay in the diff housing.You can remove the arms and take them to a mechanics who can press out the old bushes and press in the new front bushes,but obviously they will need the whole car to replace the bushes in the diff housing.I recommend using urethane type bushes like nolothane brand,these bushes dont need to be pressed into the trailing arms,they just fit in by hand,but the rear trailing arm ones will still need to be pressed into the diff housing.The diff housing bushes are about the only nolothane ones that need to be pressed in,all the others fit by hand,and they are heaps better than the original rubber bushes.They last longer than the rubber ones and give excellent road feel back through the car.
You can also make your own bush extractor/installer pretty easily.Check out the pics.

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 3,124
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 4,321
Last edited:

SP00KSTER

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS UTE, HT MONARO REBUILD
hey mate i gotta do my trailing arms as well both upper and lower, in my opinion it will be alot cheaper to just by new trailing arms then to get the bushes pressed in, unless you do it your self, theres plenty of replacement arms on ebay for awesome prices. thats just my opinion, hope fully this will help you to make a good decision.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Why would you want to buy more new trailing arms for,thats just a waste of money.The old arms just need the bushes replaced and they're as good as new again.Just give them a good clean, and a couple of coats of cheap black spraypaint to make them look half decent before you refit them to the car..

SP00KSTER

Reaction score
Members Ride
well brett in my case my old trailing arms have been flogged, so instead of paying $108 to get new bushes plus fitting i can pay 99 dollars and buy 2 new lower trailing arms with brand new bushes, no fussing about with warped bush eye's, just whip out the old and in with the new.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Jees your car must have been flogged badly if the arms have warped eyes,Ive replaced a lot of bushes in my time and I havent seen many arms that have needed to be replaced..if your arms werent stuffed,you would only pay around $20 per set for new rubber bushes,and probably around another $20 or so to have them pressed in.It only takes a couple of minutes to press out the old ones and refit the new ones if you remove the arms yourself and take them to a mechanics,but as I already mentioned, for the rear lower control arm bushes in the diff housing,they will obviously need the whole car.The above home made tools in the pics work excellent,and are easy to put together,so theres really no need to have to pay anyone to remove/refit the bushes..

Last edited:

SP00KSTER

Reaction score
Members Ride
yea the bushes in them have been gone for a while and from all the crap roads in sydney not helping out the eye's have gone a bit out of shape, but i love that tool design and will probably end up using for doing other bushings instead of paying someone else to do it.