Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Transbrake and Line locker

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
its all good to strengthen stuff but still dont be shocked when things fall off and the car wont drive. they were originally made for sensible driving... boring... but with fun comes broken car bits.

MoSkA

Steriotypical Wog
Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 Subaru WRX
Yeah well what's the worst thing that could go? I mean I can only imagine it putting pressure on things from the flywheel back...
Besides, I'm not gonna be a professional burner, I was only actually thinking of doing it once, going with a bunch of mates and making a day of it.

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Maimu said:
However most Transbrakes i have seen, are actually something very similar to the brake setup on one of your wheels. ie disk and caliper. They fit a smaller, modified version to your tailshaft. Thereby locking the tailshaft, and transmission, holding the car in one spot while you build the revs ;)
the one you are talking about here is an old style of handbrake...they used to put them on landcruisers and such. a true transbrake holds the transmission in two gears at once, like i said in my earlier post and the trans is released into 1st at the flick of a switch or push of a button.

clinker42

Reaction score
Line Locks
Taps into your brake lines and its as described, an electric solonoid, activated by a switch it closes of the line to the brakes. So if you install it in the rear brake line when you activate the switch you can stand as hard as you like on the brake pedal and the rear brakes will not recieve any fluid.

Transbrake
A transbrake is not just a solonoid, it also needs a completely different valve body in your tranny,
Its activated by a switch and does whats been explained locks two gears together, usually first and reverse so you can take your foot of the brake and your car cant roll out of stage, remember though a Transbrake switch is a push bittun switch so as soon as you let your finger of the button it disengages.

This is how they work.
You roll into the water and conduct your burnout using your line lock if you have one and then release it and roll forward.
Come into stage and as soon as you stage and the other car has staged then you hit the transbrake and take your foot of the brake, on the last yellow let your finger of the button and floor it and away you go with hopefully a green.

Dont know if anyone is interested but there is alos other things we do.
On my car I have an MSD ignition that has a 2 step rev limit on it,
One rev limit is the upper limit and it also has a lower limit.
I set the lower limit to 5500 rpm and have it wired to the transbrake switch.

So i stage and hit the transbrake switch and immediately flatten the accelerater as far as it will go,

clinker42

Reaction score
Line Locks
Taps into your brake lines and its as described, an electric solonoid, activated by a switch it closes of the line to the brakes. So if you install it in the rear brake line when you activate the switch you can stand as hard as you like on the brake pedal and the rear brakes will not recieve any fluid.

Transbrake
A transbrake is not just a solonoid, it also needs a completely different valve body in your tranny,
Its activated by a switch and does whats been explained locks two gears together, usually first and reverse so you can take your foot of the brake and your car cant roll out of stage, remember though a Transbrake switch is a push bittun switch so as soon as you let your finger of the button it disengages.

This is how they work.
You roll into the water and conduct your burnout using your line lock if you have one and then release it and roll forward.
Come into stage and as soon as you stage and the other car has staged then you hit the transbrake and take your foot of the brake, on the last yellow let your finger of the button and floor it and away you go with hopefully a green.

So i stage and hit the transbrake switch and immediately flatten the accelerater as far as it will go. The MSD will drop spark to the cylinders to keep the revs at 5500 rpm and on the last yellow finger of the transbrake and the transbrake releases and the MSD rpm lower limit switches of and away you go to 7500 rpm.
If anyone is interested i could post some pics of this and maybe a quick little video of how it works.

Trev

G4orce

HSV Owner
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
Vy Senator Signature 5.7lt auto
clinker42 said:

So i stage and hit the transbrake switch and immediately flatten the accelerater as far as it will go. The MSD will drop spark to the cylinders to keep the revs at 5500 rpm and on the last yellow finger of the transbrake and the transbrake releases and the MSD rpm lower limit switches of and away you go to 7500 rpm.
If anyone is interested i could post some pics of this and maybe a quick little video of how it works.

Trev
I am interested in pics or a video to see how it all goes although I dont think I would be looking at anything like this for a while but it does interest me. Thanx

VY2ENJOY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Family Truckster
Thanks for the info clinker42, sounds like a great set up with it linked into your rev limit's on your MSD, I had a rough idea of what they do but that was a great explanation, pic's or video would be fantastic.

Cheers

clinker42

Reaction score
I just took some pics
I will get a video but all you can hear is the transbrake soloniod clicking in as with the engine running you cant hear anything lol
I have posted some more pics on the following website, the inside pic you can see the transbrake switch on the steering wheel and the coiled lead disappearing under the centre console, then on the transbrake pic you can see the transbrake soloniod going into the back of the tranny
Trev

http://photobucket.com/albums/a120/clinker42/