Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Transitioning from a Commodore to an EV

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
usually when something works and works better everyone goes to it naturally, forcing people to do anything usually dosnt work long term, the average age of all vehicles in aus is 10 years old and increasing, most of those will be people that cant afford to ever get a new vehicle and not worth the risk of purchasing a use EV until the battery costs come down to the 500-1000 bucks like a replacement engine its not going to be worth the used EV risk for the lower income people
I guess the key is to "encourage" rather than "force". I have also seen alot of naysayers that are spreading alot of disinformation that alot of people are believing , so "encourage" away i say

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Agreed, there is so much propaganda out there for and against that there seems to be little time for the truth to filter through.

It's nice to see a thread like this where an owner can tell his story and cut out the BS.

I don't know if EV's will ever be for us. The missus is using public transport more when not working from home as it's reasonably convenient and it doesn't matter if it's a EV or ICE powered car, our roads are still congested.

Reactions: Lex

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
Agreed, there is so much propaganda out there for and against that there seems to be little time for the truth to filter through.

It's nice to see a thread like this where an owner can tell his story and cut out the BS.

I don't know if EV's will ever be for us. The missus is using public transport more when not working from home as it's reasonably convenient and it doesn't matter if it's a EV or ICE powered car, our roads are still congested.
Still congested? Lucky theres so many of you guys hear then :D I live in a town called Pimpama , i'm sure there going to change it to Pimpanui soon

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
It's not to bad ATM but it's school holiday.

After covid a lot of people who used to take public transport went back into private motor vehicles, public transport patronage was way down and congestion went up, I think we are only now getting back to pre-covid public transport patronage but then we've also had sections of the railway system closed for almost a year for upgrades and major works that needed doing before the new rail loop opens up and doubles the number of trains running on the network in 2025.

Paul Smedley

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY23 Tesla Model 3 RWD, MY23 Tesla Model Y RWD
Thanks for letting me create this thread. I'll look at posting an update on costs/experience in early Feb which will be ~9 months with the Model 3; and ~6 months with the Model Y..

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Don't think I'll ever buy another new car, with all the required ANCAP crap 'essential safety items' fitted to get 5 stars, it just takes the fun out of driving...
The problem with ANCAP now is it’s all about saving idiots from themselves. You can have good primary safety (crashworthiness, airbags, safety cell, etc) but if you don’t have everything needed to save a retarded driver from themselves (lane assist, blind spot monitor, automated braking, etc) you won’t do well in the ANCAP test.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
The problem with ANCAP now is it’s all about saving idiots from themselves. You can have good primary safety (crashworthiness, airbags, safety cell, etc) but if you don’t have everything needed to save a retarded driver from themselves (lane assist, blind spot monitor, automated braking, etc) you won’t do well in the ANCAP test.

yep people getting hit by cars cos they are walking on there phone so now around town cars have to do 40kph so the people still dont learn, best driving i done was on my P's with a car full of mates drinking chucking laps, heaps of distractions gets u use to things like what cars are doing 2-3 cars ahead and all around, younger kids dont think they have to be aware of that now days cos the car will save them

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
So on the ANCAP stuff. Work was going to replace some vehicles.
ANCAP only lasts for a certain time, so they rushed to get the 2023 vehicles as the 2024 (exactly the same) are not considered as rated and therefore wouldn't buy them....

Am still interested about the EV Side of things.
Having driven one in NZ it was nice, but not exactly having a "base" to go to and be able to top up the Battery was the only real concern.
Charging via the standard outlet in the house was a long process, and because we were apparently in an area of little charging infrastructure it was hard to time it to get the only spot to top it up (felt cheap to top up anyway)
Was brilliant for just running around town in and staying reasonably local, or doing a longer drive if planned out.

If you had a proper set up at home, and it was a runabout it would be a fantastic vehicle to have, even at a few hundred kms a day.
Its the upfronts to do that though, again restrictive for many that would put caution to the uptake.
I wouldn't want to have to rely on always trying to go to a charging station.
But then again, I also wonder how the elec grid is going to cope going forwards with not just EVs, but all the other things being added such as Data Centres and the sheer load they take.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6