Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Transitioning from a Commodore to an EV

Paul Smedley

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY23 Tesla Model 3 RWD, MY23 Tesla Model Y RWD
I followed a Tesla in reasonably heavy traffic for about 20km yesterday, not stop-start, just at a steady 80kmh.
The brake lights kept flashing on and off regularly for what seemed no good reason.
Do they come on when you lift off the accelerator ?
No idea as I haven't followed one - but if the driver wasn't using cruise control, then the brake lights probably would come on if they took their foot off the accelerator, as the regenerative brakes would kick in...

Edit: from the owner's manual:
If regenerative braking is aggressively slowing Model 3 (such as when your foot is completely off the accelerator pedal at highway speeds), the brake lights turn on to alert others that you are slowing down.

Batca

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ssv sportwagon
Hey all, in trying to keep it real, here's some things we don't like:
  • the lack of the birds eye view. Despite having 8(!) cameras, there is no direct equivalent of the bird's eye view. When reversing, you do you 3 images (left side/right side/rear), but there is no way to get a view from the forward camera (even though it should be possible).
  • Wiper controls - instead of all controls being on the stalk, there is a push button on the end of the left-hand stalk that activates a single wipe, and there is an 'Auto' setting - but if you want to manually turn the wipers on, it's press the button on the stalk, then either push the touchscreen to set the speed you want (I, II, III, IV) or use the left hand scroll wheel to change the speed. We'll get used to it, but it's a pain.
There's probably more, but this is what springs to mind this morning.

Off to get windows tinted today, and also getting the Garage Door Opener installed this afternoon. Pretty cool - Tesla service come to your house to install it. The idea here is that it used Homelink, and as soon as you pull into the driveway, the garage door opens. Lazy I know, but cool.

I also have plans to install a powered frunk soon :)
Good to hear the various perspectives. Wonder if the wiper thing is just to be techy and clever for the sake of it

Badgerdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais V
Hey Paul, Curious how you've found the overall quality control on the car to be. Good paint and no marks in the interior ? Good fit and finish overall ? You're in a good position to judge with your background.
Tesla have been causing a lot of angst this side of the Tasman. Just one of a large number of stories I've read over the years.
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/tesla...x-car-paint-fails/N5VNG3TM65BWFB73DN5CKHHPQA/

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Yes, I've been following that story.

Paul Smedley

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey Paul, Curious how you've found the overall quality control on the car to be. Good paint and no marks in the interior ? Good fit and finish overall ? You're in a good position to judge with your background.
Tesla have been causing a lot of angst this side of the Tasman. Just one of a large number of stories I've read over the years.
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/tesla...x-car-paint-fails/N5VNG3TM65BWFB73DN5CKHHPQA/
I can't fault the quality of the car (yet). Fit and finish is good, I couldn't see any dirt in the paint - really happy with it.

Paul Smedley

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sorry, one more peeve (even though we're getting used to it) the bloody indicators being on the left hand side - wtf!

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
You get used to it. My old man drives Fords and those have em on the left hand side as well as does my boys BMW.

Paul Smedley

Reaction score
Members Ride
You get used to it. My old man drives Fords and those have em on the left hand side as well as does my boys BMW.
I know I'll get used to it, and I know other Euro brands do it too - but it still grates :) It will get easier once I get rid of the Astra and replace it with another Tesla :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Lex

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Sorry, one more peeve (even though we're getting used to it) the bloody indicators being on the left hand side - wtf!

Our Mini has that too.

Don't even think about the difference between it and the VE.

Muscle memory is a strange thing.

Paul Smedley

Reaction score
Members Ride
I haven't posted for a little while, but the Model 3 has been awesome. Brought it down to the holiday house for the first time this weekend - only a 50km drive from home - but was fantastic on the Southern Expressway. Also nice to test our charging setup down here. Also nice to visit a winery for lunch yesterday who had a Destination Charger installed, which is free to use (we'd just charged the night before, so didn't bother plugging in).

In other news, I just ordered a Model Y to replace our Astra - so by the end of September, sadly, the only Holden's in our house will be on T-Shirts and some memorabilia, which is a bit sad ;(